1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Precision Fit Stock opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 548, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 548

548 Guest

I am considering purchasing a new PFS for a JE687 SPIII. I'm sure there are the usual owners who think the PFS's are great and there is no substitute.

I am particularly interested in the opinion of a PFS owner who wishes they would have done something different. What is it about the PFS you don't like?

Is it best to buy direct from PFS or one of the retail dealers?

Thank you.

Jeff

2. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

The beauty is that it can be made to fit very nicely....other than that I, found that it was heavy for low gun skeet or sporting...could not get used to the movement...settings would loosen up and ended up using loctite...plus....I could not stop tinkering with the settings. ...

I do like the nilgriffe stock for a lot of reasons but then again I might tinker with it too..

3. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Between my wife and I, we have five PFSs for our guns. I have never had anything come loose on any of them, but I have everything tightened down very snugly.

All of ours have the Ultimate Fit Comb, which I believe to be better than the original cheek piece, since adjustments up and down and right and left are done just like any other 4 way comb.

Best place to buy? Right here on TS.com. You can buy the unit alone, then pick up the grip for your particular gun if the unit you are looking at has another grip. Or, you can buy the unit, then contact Vern and purchase the grip.

I have purchased the entire unit with the Ultimate Fit Comb and proper grip for about $900 and individual units for $650-$750 here.

No or minimal felt recoil, infinitely adjustable, nothing not to like except it's not as pretty as wood.

Bob

4. 548

548 Guest

Bob, is that $900 for all new stuff, or used? The websites say $1300, so $900 is pretty attractive if new.

5. straightshooter1

No, used. It was for my wife's 682 and it was about as nearly new as you could get. It included the original cheek piece, too.

I have both the new style (like the one above) and the old style. I, personally, prefer the old style, but that is just me. The new style allows more offset than the old.

Bob

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I'v had several PFS's from early generations to the latest rendidtion. The early one's were made of Stainless steel and were hefty. The later one's incorporate mainly aluminum components while maintaining stainless steel fasteners and weigh about the same as a tightly grained trap stock with adjustable comb hardware.

Vern, PFS owner and inventor has continually refined his stock since its inception adding features such as right or left offset and comb options like the ultimate comb.

I think people who complain about the PFS have an expectation that its an out of the box bolt and go product which its not. The beauty of the PFS is its abilty to be taylored exactly to you and your needs but getting it to this point requires investment of time and testing. Once you reach the adjustments that fit your needs, you tightened down and forget it.

From my view the PFS is one the best products created for the shot gunner with all its adjustments for fit and comfort, couple this with its superb ability reduce felt recoil, makes it a winner

Surfer

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You definitely want the Ultimate Fit Comb rather than the old style. I've been using the PFS on my Ljutic since they first came out. It still works perfect and the only thing I added was the newer comb.

8. trapgeek

trapgeek Member

Highly recomended! I like mine with the "soft" Ultimate Fit Comb. Got mine thru Keith Heeg.

Trapgeek

9. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I love mine! The best part is being able to fit the stock to you without cutting the stock, adding an adjustable comb, etc. Then if you want to sell that gun just replace the original stock (which will still be as it was when you bought it).

Be patient with your first one as it takes some getting used to. You can call Vern Brown anytime & he is always eager to help......great customer service!

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It's UGLY as hell.

But it keeps old beat up trapshooters shooting with minor discomforts as compareed to reg. stock. I have neck and shoulder problems and it allows me to shoot with little or no pain. Without it I would not be able to shoot the number of targets I do (a big bunch).

Look at the rest but buy the best.

Don

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

WOW! BIGDON and I finally agreeded on something.......LOL

12. dead on 4

Big Don is much smarter than you think................

Surfer

13. skydweller97

skydweller97 Member

I tried one and it wasn't for me. Couldn't get used to all that empty space where the wood was before -- and all the movement. I tried it several times and it always felt much better going back to the wood stock. It might be better with one of the more substantial after-market cheek pieces.

I felt more recoil WITH the PFS than I did without. It would move on doubles and hit me in a different place for the second shot.

I thought it had a money back, "satisfaction" guarantee, at least that's what my friend told me who had bought one, so I called the manufacturer and asked if I could take him up on it. He took it back, but there was a 10% re-stocking fee - $130.

I will say they are very well engineered and constructed, and the materials and hardware are top-notch. The adjustments you can make with it are incredible and it's very intuitive to set up.

Just one opinion/data point for you. I know a lot of people do like them.

14. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I have had a new and an old style PFS. Both excellent. My biggest complaint: The grips are made for baby size (small) hands. I have grips for a Ljutic, TM-1, MX, and Citori XT. All crowd my hand too close to the trigger guard. Granted, I have large hands but no options for grip size. My middle finger knuckle gets banged by the trigger guard. If I shoot the PFS I have to bandage my knuckle. Marc

15. straightshooter1

skydweller:

I suspect you had the stock set too softly. If I do that, I do feel the recoil and notice the movement. If I set it more firmly (I think Vern recommend to start with 10 or 11 turns), I don't feel anything. Mine is set at about 14 turns.

Bob

16. rmy

rmy Member

The best recoil reduction device out there in my opinion. I've had several (two now), and have passed up buying certain guns because there wasn't a grip made for them. I think that people that don't see the recoil reduction or have trouble with too much movement do not have the PFS properly set up or fitted to them. Just my opinion. And yes, Vern Brown is great to work with. rmy

17. citadel

citadel Active Member

.I really like shooting with my PFS on my Kolar but I find that after I shoot about 100 rounds I have injured the lower joint on my right hand thumb. The joint gets very painful and swollen as though the joint is absorbing significant recoil. This does not happen when inshoot with a heavy wood stock, only with a PFS.

Does anyone have reason they can think of why this happens. I have tried changing the position of my hand on the grip. I had the same problem shooting a PFS on a Perazzi MX2000
    Doug

18. dead on 4

Some people like a lot of movement and others don't, this is the beauty of the design you can dial in or out as much movement that suits you. This is part of the set up that takes time to get it set where its most comfortable for you. If you think you can get away making a couple of adjustments and have a perfect fit, it ain't going to happen. Go get fitted for a wood stock and see how many minor adjustments and tweaking are required to make it perfect before its commited to a final finnish.

My girlfriend squawked up a storm until we finally got everything dialed in. Now you can't pry it out of her hands and won't even consider going back to a wood stock. Like everything in life, its a choice.

Surfer

19. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I do know they win the ugly contest. But beauty is only skin deep. You see a lot of them.
    Clyde

20. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I bought one directly from Vern so I could get the 30 no-questions-asked return policy. I bought it and the Ultimate Fit comb setup. My primary reason was for the adjustability. I sent it back because it is not as adjustable as one would think. There are dead zones and I could not get enough offset even with the UF setup. With a couple of manufacturing adjustments the stock would be wonderful.

The Bad: stock rattles and I don't like that. The stock is rebounding forward as you move to the second shot of doubles. That is very disconcerting, but I'll suppose one could get used to it. The recoil pad adjustments could be better thought out, especially for those with long necks. It's butt ugly.

The Good: recoil absorption is superb. You can dial in as much or as little as you want. The only difference I could feel between my squib 7/8oz loads and a Nitro 27 was the amount of rearward movement of the gun. With the 7/8oz it was a little. With the Nitro 27 is was significantly move. You have to consider that if you shoot 1 1/8oz for the first shot of doubles. If so, you'll have to dial back on the recoil control to minimize recoil movement.

IMO, a couple of design and manufacturing changes and the PFS would be a superb tool. As it stands, it wasn't for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
pfs stock review
precision fit shotgun stock
precision fit shotgun stocks

precision fit stock

precision fit stock review

precision fit stock reviews
precision fit stocks
precision fit stocks reviews