1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Precision Fit Stock- old v. new style

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenns, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenns

glenns Member

What is the difference between a 'new style' PFS and an 'old style' PFS?

When did they start making the 'new style?'

Glenn

2. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I bought a PFS for my 682 Beretta in 2008 & it was the "new style" but I don't know when the change was made. The one difference I noticed was that the anti-rotation rod, or top rod, is thinner on the new model, 1/4" vs. 3/8". I think I would prefer the thicker rod because the one on my gun seems to flex downward when firing the top barrel & straighten out when the unit rebounds, causing a slight cheek sting. John

3. glenns

glenns Member

So not much difference between 'old' and 'new'?

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

The new style will allow for much more cast off of the cheek piece. I use the new style with the ultimate comb. Both styles are very good but I prefer the new style.

Pat Ireland

7771 thanked this.
  5. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

Glenn, I think the cast on/off feature that Pat is referring to is the fact that there are two 1/4" holes side by side in the main block that attaches to the grip that allows the upper rod to be located either right or left, depending on the desired cast. The block is not wide enough for two 3/8" holes, hence the change to the 1/4" rod. The 1/4" rod has a cross sectional area reduction of over 40% which may account for some loss of rigidity. John

6. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I have owned and shot both and I see no difference in performance. I prefer the newer design with the 1/4" rod because of the added castoff capability.JRM

7. glenns

glenns Member

Thanks. Any idea when they changed to the 1/4" rod?

8. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Don't you mean OFF SET not cast off??

Tom Strunk

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tom- A offset of the comb is typically referred to as cast off or cast on.

Pat Ireland

10. Tom Strunk

Not in my world Pat.

Tom Strunk

11. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Oh Tom, offset is the more correct term in this case. That said offset and cast-off/on both achieve the same result, moving the comb/sight line to line up with bead/rib/barrel.. Jim

12. Gil

Gil Member

I shot the old style for a couple of years. Now I use the new style because I can raise the poi to my preferred height. With the old style I had to find screws that were longer to go higher. I don't need cast off or on so I am not a contributor on that. Over all, I think the pfs is superior to all other recoil reduction systems because of the infinite number of recoil settings and the precision you can set poi. Having said all that, I still can shoot some really crappy scores. George Miller

13. Tom Strunk

You are right Jim, BUT, the difference is less recoil to the face with offset. With offset the comb is moved over from the ribs centerline, but IS IN A STRAIGHT LINE WITH THE RIB.

Cast off or on is just bending, shimming, or angle trimming the stock to the receiver to move the comb over, this results in the front part of the comb bumping your cheek upon recoil. Over a long day or week this can cause discomfort and cause the shooter to begin to lift his/her head to avoid the bump.

I first learned of offset from Dan Bonillas in the early 80's and have had all my stocks built with offset ever since. I use approx. 1/4 inch offset and 1/2 inch toe out.

Just trying to help you shoot better with more comfort.

Gil,(George) you don't shoot crappy scores to often.

Tom Strunk

14. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

George, I not just exactly sure who first showed me the "dime" adjustment but it works. With the old style, I place a dime between the grip & the stock at either the top (above the connecting bolt) or at the bottom (below the bolt, in the grip) depending which way you wish to make adjustment of the comb higher or lower. The only other thing I added was a tapered pitch wedge at the butt. Had far more adjustment then I need. Moved my pattern to 100% and best recoil reduction you can ask for.

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
precision fit stock

precision fit stock comb does not move