1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Precision Fit Stock is it worth it ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kraiza, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

My wife wants to get a PFS for her Browning XT. She tried one at a shoot and said I wants one. I think they look ugly. I know it all about fit. But will this PFS help her shoot better or will it just take a few dollors out of my pocket. She shoot well but if she can run a few more birds and to make that 100 stright more offern I would give in.

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Worth every dime and then some for a variety of reasons. Shoot well and often, Bob

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I tried one for three weeks. No matter what others say, the reduction in felt recoil is significant. It takes about 5 shots to get used to. The reduced recoil (even for loads that didn't bother my shoulder) allows better concentration. I would not have believed it if I hadn't experienced it myself. Recoil is a factor, even if you think it doesn't bother you.

I actually bought the PFS for its adjustability. I need a lot of offset. Even using the Ultimate Fit Comb option, I couldn't get enough, so I returned it. I ordered it directly from Vern Brown, who offers a no questions asked 30 day return policy.

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

PFS and an ugly gal are a good comparison. Both are good for the long haul, even if neither is pretty. If she is having a recoil problem, the PFA is definitely the way to go.

Gne J

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

I must a clone of zzt. I added 5/8" of additional spacers to get more offset with the Ultimate Fit Comb.

Anyway, yes, they are ugly - who cares?

I ordered one from Vern this week for my girlfriends BT99. They will cut recoil and, with the range of adjustments, they will allow a good gun fit to most people.

I have some pretty guns - but I shoot for score. If it looked like a 2x4, and it shot better than what I use now, it would go on the gun.

I am considering going to Dennis Devault and having a "pretty" stock made that fits me. It will cost more than a PFS but I need more cast off. Otherwise I would stay with the PFS. The PFS will go on my back up gun if I go this route.

Don

6. laura!

laura! Member

I love my PFS & would not use anything else. I also love my UFC and would not use anything else.

In addition to what Mike said, I would add it is also worth buying and reading and rereading, etc, Rollin's book. Many shooters, especially women, need to add pitch to their PFS.

Good luck,

Laura

7. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

I shoot a PFS and love it. We shoot as often as possible and the recoil reduction is great especially during a long week like shooting 5 days straight. The reduction in recoil is important for your body as well. A constant pounding can take its toll on the shoulder, neck, & back.

The best thing is that you can fit it to your body in minute detail.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Its probably the best investment you can make in shooting for you and or your wife ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is worth much more than the current price. If I were Vern, I would raise the price by at least $300.

Pat Ireland

10. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Ok Ok I got the message. I'll order it tomorrow. What about the Ultimate Fit comb? I guess I should get that also.
    Where can I see this wood option to make it look a little better.

11. Terminator

Terminator TS Member

I have one that is as new for sale,with either a bt99 or k80 grip. If you are interesed send me an email at hunter529@rogers.com

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

kraiza- The Ultimate Fit Comb is designed for well nourished shooters who have very full faces. If you are not among this group, get the standard comb.

Bob Schultz (Target Shotguns) is a PFS dealer who advertises and contributes to this site. Give him a call (800-684-6329) and ask about the Ultimate Comb.

Pat Ireland

13. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Thank guys. I'll give Vern and Bob a call today.
    John

14. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

My wife shot a 682 w/PFS then had to have a new Caesar Guerini combo. Well no FPS grip avail for it. We went to every fitter we could find but just could not attain that just right fit. I took her PFS from the 682 and fitted it to my Kolar. Just had to see if it were the arrow or the indiain. Well folks she is now shooting a Kolar combo and her last two hundreds were a 94 and 95.

Reguardless of what gun I own in the future it MUST have a PFS grip avail for it. I can not ever seeing myself cutting up a wood stock to make it fit. Will save it for the possible resale.

In short the answer to your question is yes,yes,........ Jake Jacobs

15. laura!

laura! Member

I am going to respectfully disagree with Pat Ireland on the UFC. I do not fit in the well nourished trap shooter category and neither does my husband. We both have the UFC and find that it is much easier to stay in the gun because it has a traditional comb shape as opposed to the rollover style that comes standard with the PFS.

I would say if you get the PFS & see a decrease in scores that does not improve rather quickly, you may want to consider the UFC.

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

compared to a custom made/fit wood stock $$ for $$ they are great. Read and follow the instructions. Getting used to the movement is like anything else, a little time. other up side is you could purchase other model grips and switch unit from gun to gun. If You can mark the adjustments on the unit (i use a sharpie) Then you can move adjustments for another shooter/wife/kid. It took me some time to to find the proper pitch, good thing is you can change them out, slide them around to you find the right spot. Rollins book is a good read. I found it helpful. I heard that Vern no longer supplies the pitch spacers with the unit, I would call and ask him to send the longer pad screws with it. They are running about 1300.00 I believe. I would like to see what you get for a custom fitted wood job for 1300.00. Plus if you change loose/gain weight, injury ect ect you can quickly adapt the pfs. A fixed custom woody would no longer be custom. The recoil reduction, for me that was secoundary.....I have been shooting 7/8 loads all year.

17. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I recommend this and Vern Brown is GREAT to talk to.The adjustments are limitless and stock fit is the REAL secret to shooting good scores.As for the look of it all--IMHO a nice piece of polished metal beats an old looking tree with dings in it anyday.Shoot well.

18. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I'm a big fan of the UFC - take a look at the picture that PBB put up on this thread and you will notice the bottom right unit is a UFC.

If you want additional pix then search for Ultimate Fit Comb Kudos and you will find a thread on the topic including some close up pix.

My kid has a very lean build and he loves the UFC so i'm not sure i buy the idea that it is for fuller faces. It is however way more adjustable than the original rollover cheekpiece that comes with the unit.

19. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I order the PFS for my wifes XT and a grip for her Beretta 687 JE. I also got the UFC my wife shot a demo with it and like it. I also got some pitch spacers. I just don't want to go looking for someting. I want to do the job right the frist time. I'll have it by mid week.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.