1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Precision fit stock causing fan fire

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ATLSKEET, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATLSKEET

ATLSKEET TS Member

Hello I have a precision fit stock and I took it to the range for the first time and on several of my doubles the recoil device causes my k-80 to fan fire. I tightened the recoil device as tight as it would go and the same result. It has not done this before. Is there a was to fix the stock so it will not recoil at all? I would really like to just completely disable to device if possible. I thought about placing washers on the recoil device where it actually slides, thus giving the stock no where to compress. The problem is I do not know how to take the recoil unit apart and the manual states not to take the recoil unit apart because of the diffiuclty of getting it back together. Has any one on here had a similar problem or know a was to disable the recoil device?

2. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The problem may be that the gun is recoiling off your finger and when it comes forward your finger is hitting (pulling) the trigger again. The problem is more likely you than the Precision Fit stock.

3. todman2

todman2 Member

Before you throw your hands up and give up on the PFS here are a few things to know that took me a few weeks to find out. I'm mainly a skeet and sporting clays shooter and shooting the Precision fit for 3 years.

A problem most shooters don't pick up on is termed "pre-loading" As we get more excited or try to get into the gun tighter, we pull the gun into our shoulder and face. This loads the recoil mech. Also if you like to finger the trigger closely the recoil will set the gun off. Try adjusting the position of the trigger on your K-80.

Another problem that has been discovered is the grip bolt maybe longer than needed and it will continue through the receiver and barely push into the safety and other internals at the back of the receiver just enough to create a fan fire.

Do not open the recoil mech. you will have to send back to precision fit to put back together properly and the charge is $135 from what I've been told.

As far as disabling the only way I know is to tighten the recoil adjustments to the end this should lock out the gun.You may also want to call Vern at Precision Fit he invented the unit and even if you didn't buy it from him he is a wealth of knowledge.

Phone
    Office – 719-547-4432
    Cell Phone – 719-250-7727
    Fax – 719-547-4432

http://precisionfitstocks.com

They are a great invention and will let you shoot all day with no discomfort or fatigue.

Good Luck Todman2

4. zinger

zinger Member

If you tightened your stock and it still did it, then it is possible that maybe you aren't holding the gun tight enough which is causing your finger to slap the trigger? I don't recommend making tightening your stock all the way as it could cause damage to the internal parts. Are your triggers pull/pull or release? If release, it could be something in the grip..just a thought.

5. ATLSKEET

ATLSKEET TS Member

The lock screw was the problem. In the manual it did not mention anything about a lock screw, or I didn't see it, anyway I thought the lock screw was the adjustment screw and I was afraid to unscrew it all the was because the manual says not to take out adjustment screw. When the lock screw was removed and I actually tightened the stock it did remove all the movement, Thanks for the help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.