1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Precision Fit stock benefits

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by open choke, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. open choke

open choke TS Member

What are the real benefits to having a PFS vs a stock with adj comb, recoil system w/ LOP adjustment & pad adjustment?

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I am a little supprised there are not more responses. At any rate, the finite quality of the adjustments exceed what you can get with other stock set ups. The nature of the recoil reduction is different and more complete with the PFS. I took my DT 10 from out of the box to RAD to PFS as my shoulder/neck pain got worse. The adjustments and the nature of the recoil reduction has allowed me to continue to shoot. I tried the Keen raised add on rib and nothing helped. I have a Soft touch composite stock on my 390 and I would say it is probably about as good as you can get short of the PFS...but it is an semi-auto. I had wood grips made and the "Ultimate fit" type comb put on the PFS and I am quite happy.

JON

3. Bridger

Bridger Member

The best thing you can do is to shoot a gun with a PFS on it that is reasonably a decent fit for you. I had an opportunity to shoot a gun exactly like my own. The difference was unbelievable. Graco, RAD etc have some recoil reduction, part of which is the added weight to the gun. The fiit and recoil reduction of the PFS is significantly better . It may not be the prettiest thing in the world but it works and you don't have to chop up your existing stock.

4. Erik W

Erik W Member

I could not get used to look of it as compared to great piece of wood on my Kgun, so sold mine. Now a few years later, I really need the help with 12ga recoil and am about to buy another because they really work.

5. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

if you run out of all other toys to tinker with, the pfs will be there

seriously, an amazing product, i wish they had a grip for a zoli

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I have had four PFS and now have the last generation with the 1/4" rod which allows for offsetting the stock for better fit along with the ultimate Comb option. All of them have been great but require some tuning which is the beauty of the recoil and fitting system. Vern at PFS is a great help and will get you up and running in snap.

Surfer

7. open choke

open choke TS Member

Now that I have some feedback I want to throw something else into the mix.

I didn't before b/c I wanted some opinions first; I have a Citori 525 sporting with all the modifications that I listed plus an add-a-rib (non-adjustable) with a monte carlo to make the stock in-plane with the barrels/rib.

I feel that my setup is "rigged up" and this is holding me back to the next level of my game.

I don't have or can see myself spending 5000+ on a high end trap gun but I don't mind getting the PFS cause the gun I have works well, there are plenty of parts for it, & it will last many years

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

It is so ugly that no one will steal your gun. Cheaper tha gun insurance.

9. GRUMPN

GRUMPN TS Member

Benefits? Unmatched adjustability for fit. Unparalleled adjustability for recoil reduction. With no loss in fit, you can literally adjust for recoil from load to load or gage to gage (i.e. skeet). Looks? We e e e ll looks done't break targets so I figure that's a non-issue. I know one fact thats irrifutable. Without my PFS I would not be shooting at all let alone compitition. Ric

10. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

like grumpn said.i could not shoot if i did not have a pfs.however, I don't know why Vern used so many size allen wrench's?2 sizes would have done the job?

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You get the benefits of a custom stock and recoil reducer without the price. You'd be looking at close to $4k for a custom stock to your dimensions and installed recoil reducer. BRAND NEW PFS is 1/3 of that (and used are even less). When you go to sell your "custom stock" you're going to get 1/4 of what you paid for it if you're LUCKY. When you go to sell your PFS, you will get most if not all of your money back, and possible make some $. When you switch guns, you get to pay $4k for a new custom stock, vs $240 for a new PFS grip (again, even less if you buy used).

The size of allen key is dictated by the size of screw. To make them all the same would necessitate that you either use screws smaller than needed in some areas, or bigger than needed in some areas. You can't have it both ways.

12. glenns

glenns Member

While it's not a wood stock I think it looks good. In fact someone described it to me this past weekend as "space age" looking.

13. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

It would look great on a Space Gun.

14. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Regarding looks, do you want to break more target and be comfortable breaking them or look good.

Surfer

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Luckily for the PFS shooters, it appears a lot of shooters would prefer to have a pretty stock that doesn't fit, pounds the crap out of them, and leaves them with poor scores, rather than put a PFS on their gun. Doesn't bother me one bit :-D

16. open choke

open choke TS Member

At least with an PFS I won't have to worry about dings on the wood.

I really thu I I'm gonna go for it if my stock guy. An use a dremmel to make Vern's Citori grip fit to my 525 reciever

17. roger stoddard

roger stoddard TS Member

No one mentioned that with a PFS your face doesn't constantly slide on the stock like with other recoil management systems. The cheek piece and butt remain in the same relationship to each other even under recoil. Most other set-ups have the stock moving rearward relative to the butt pad, under recoil. PFS = a great system. Roger

18. Carol S

Carol S TS Member

I LOVE my PFS and would never go back. I'm a petite shooter and fit was a challenge for me--the smaller size PFS solved all my fit issues, not to mention recoil. As a woman in particular, I am always amazed by all the men who object to the PFS based on the fact that it's not "pretty." I may shoot in a skirt, but I know that the appearance of the gun is not what matters in competition.
    Carol

19. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have 4 PFS and love them. You can't get a custom stock to fit or have the recoil device for the price of the PFS. Yes it my be ugly to some but when it comes down to breaking clays. The higher score wins not the look of the wood.

20. open choke

open choke TS Member

I totally agree with you kraiza

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.