1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-shot routine

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UplandBri, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UplandBri

UplandBri TS Member

I recently had a couple of rounds where I shot extremely poorly. I could blame it on the kid with the semi-auto without a shell catcher next to me that was ejecting shells at me or his dad standing behind him who would yell "move" even when we were only at 4 shots...

In retrospect I believe that I shot poorly because I was ignoring my pre-shot routine. I am still trying to develop a consistent pre-shot routine. Mostly from watching experienced shooters at the club.

What is your pre-shot routine? Describe it. What do you do to practice it or reinforce it?

Thanks for your insight

Bri

2. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

fighting the squads from he__ is difficult for me also. If getting shells kicked at you, one possibility is to tell the squad you have an internal problem and you gotta go - then tell shoot management/cashier the same story and resquad. they can find a hole for you. Another possibility is to challenge the kid throwing shells and get a line judge, shoot manager, etc to stop the shooter kicking shells out on you. If you cannot get them to take out the offending shooter, ask to be re-squadded based on substancial shooter interference. (also hint around that you also understand the ATA rules).

My preshot routine does not include dealing with autoloaders that are not on a leash.

3. fishguts

fishguts Member

When the shells are done bouncing off you and the dad shuts his yap,...raise your gun, tell yourself "one target at a time". focus and break the target.

Wayne

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I had that issue 3 weeks ago, I had a shell bounce off my head. It didn't bother me much until I thought about one bouncing off my $15,000 gun and putting a nick in it then it was time to get it stopped. Person was thinking it was funny until I got on him a little heavy and then he saw the light.

5. LFT687

LFT687 Member

Every time I let something like another shooter on the line or some loudmouth on the other side of the fence bother me when I'm shooting I take a minute to remind myself that I am the one who calls for the bird and I am the one who decides when to pull the trigger. If I'm truly focussed on the target, nothing should be distracting me unless I choose to let it. As for autoloaders, I shoot at a public range where there are just as many new shooters/walkups as there are regulars, so there are quite a few autoloaders without shell catchers and overzealous ejectors ahooting pumps. Although some have come close, no emptry hulls have ever hit me.

Dave

6. UplandBri

UplandBri TS Member

I seem to have confused the issue with too much information..

I'm not blaming what was happening on the line. To the contrary. I was just trying to put it in context.. I think that if I had a reinforced pre-shot routine I would not have forgotten to do it.... and would have shot better..

I was just looking for information on what people do in their pre-shot routine..

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Focus, turn brain on, mount gun, go to hold point, keep Eye on target, call. Break-em all. Jeff

8. checker

checker Member

I am....
    1. In my proper stance/foot position with shell in chamber of SBT
    2. Focus on target release in position to my left....try to pick up this bird quick.....Yep... this is "point" I clearly see this target....5-7' out of house.
    3. Mount gun in sholder pocket, raise muzzle and place my cheek on stock....lower muzzle to precise hold point.
    4. Focus on point where you "see" target as it exits (see step 2)
    5. Call PULL loudly and confidently
    6. SEE THE TARGET......SHOOT THE TARGET

9. LFT687

LFT687 Member

I'm a creature of habit. I try to do everything the same way every time. Once I set my feet at a particular station I don't move them till it's time to change stations. I try to pick up and follow every bird that comes out of the house. I try to stand up as straight as I can (as opposed to leaning forward or back) so my mount is always the same. My gun is open with a shell in it and I don't close or mount it until it's my turn to shoot. I often count off the other shooters as they fire to keep things like "mowing the lawn" or "What's for dinner?" from creeping in to my focus. It sometimes feels as though I forget to breathe until it's time to change stations. I'm still working on that. I usually break more than I miss.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pre shot routine for trap shooting