1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pre shot routine

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by windyflat, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windyflat

windyflat Member

Need some help with ideas developing a mental routine to run before the shot.
    This past weekend I started thinking about score just before the shot and the result was a miss.
    Thanks

Tom

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don't think!!!

3. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

I carefully grasp the shot between my thumb and middle finger, lick the salt, down the hatch then look for your lime...REPEAT till you get it right.

4. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Just start your routine again, set your focus point, and focus on the bird when you call pull.

Hope that helps; works for me.

Dave

5. windyflat

windyflat Member

Thanks Dave!

6. Browning Girl

Browning Girl TS Member

I say to myself prior, see the bird --hit the bird. Then it sticks in my head and works for me.

7. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Browning Girl,

You have either been to a Daro Handy clinic or you are reading his mind!

JMAC

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It is not routine if you are thinking. Like Matt said. Especially thinking about your score. Jon

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'll just share mine...

first I got rid of the shell box holder... I use a single compartment pouch and throw in a box plus a handful - I never lead off, so I don't have to count shells or remember how many I've shot...

set the feet... set 'em and forget 'em...

focus on my hold points... I don't watch the other guys birds - breaks or misses...

develop what works for you and repeat 25x per round...

***EDIT***

btw... the ole adage "practice makes perfect" - NOT. "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"...

Jay

10. BT99Max100

BT99Max100 Member

I would watch several 'good' shooters to get a 'basic' idea of what they do and how much time they take before they shoot. The key for me is not to move the gun before I 'see/aquire' the bird. If you move the gun before 'seeing' the bird, the gun won't be on the right plane and you normally will hear 'LOST'.

John

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like to shoot fast and read the trap. I watch the other shooters birds come out of the house, this tells me where mine will be and I hold for that angle. No time to think about other things. HMB

12. Beni

Beni Member

Your feet and soft focus should come natural after repition,dont think,tell yourself see the bird right before you call for it. Tiger Woods once said he only concentrates 3 seconds over a shot..... beni

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Tiger hasn't won a tournament in over two years. HMB

14. Stl Flyn

Tiger is a great example. When we lose confidence, we start thinking more, getting away from our routine. In his conference yesterday he even said that it takes two years before the swing change becomes routine. If you are thinking about what you are doing while you are swinging, you are not concentrating. He said he knew what he was supposed to do, but the ball was not going where he wanted it to. I think that now that his putting is coming back to where it was when he was "lights out", his confidence level his coming back to where it was, before his life and swing changing events. Once he wins, which may be this weekend, I think he will win at least one major next year. You can see the fire is starting to burn. The fist pumps are becoming more frequent, and a little more animated. The desire is back. Jon

15. Beni

Beni Member

HMB,I know Tiger hasnt won in 2 years but to compete at the level he was at,you have to be doing something right... guess we all cant get straight aways everytime HUH !!!!!!!!!! beni

16. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

An exerpt from the above document.

<i>
    The Mental Game

Not surprisingly the mental preparation for skeet, trap and sporting clays is essentially the same for all three disciplines. The major difference is to recognize that the targets are presented differently amongst the three disciplines which means your mental and physical games will be integrated differently for each. It’s all about positioning your mind to properly do its part when integrated with the body in order to break targets.
    <ol>
    <li></li>Positive Approach: Tell yourself you are going to break targets. Proper mental attitude is critically important – if you are ambivalent or say to yourself “I’m probably going to miss targets” - Guess what? You most certainly will miss targets!
    <li></li> If you miss a target – forget about it; it’s gone! Ruminating over missed targets only leads to more missed targets!
    <li></li>One target at a time and in its time – deal only with the station on which you are standing. Don’t be thinking about stations to come that have been giving you trouble. Deal with them only when you are standing on them.
    <li></li>Stay focused! Breathe from your belly region – this promotes relaxation of the mind (as well as the body). Also, be aware that shallow breathing from the chest area promotes adrenalin release which tightens muscles and inhibits smooth swings and clear minds.
    <li></li>Unload or park all other thoughts, emotions, fears, fantasies etc. so they don’t come into view while you are in “shooting mode”. They won’t help you – only work against you. Tell yourself you will deal with them some other time, if need be.
    <li></li>Be in the moment! And the moment is about being safe, having fun and breaking targets; and that requires all of your powers of concentration.</ol></I>

Bryan

17. Stl Flyn

Excellent post Calkidd.

Many of these things I have posted somewhere along the line of many. The whole link that is posted is very informative.

The breathing thing I have noticed makes a big difference. I usually take a deep breath after my shot to replentish oxygen in the blood and it seems to help the concentration. Plus as it states relax the body. As stress starts to build, I think the short breaths are just a natural reaction.

I found I shoot my best when I go for a walk, or do some cardio exercise, about an hour before I shoot. Very interesting. Jon

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Put a 9V transistor battery in your pocket and if you find yourself thinkng anything other than see the target - shoot the target then get the battery and put the tip of your tounge between the terminals. This will occupy your mind on something other than the possibility that you might miss.

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Beni, If it isn't a straight away you use the FTF rule!!!! HMB

20. Beni

Beni Member

I thought that, Forgot TO Fire rule was reserved for you old guys!!!!!!!!!! beni

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pre shot routine for trap shooting

trap shooting pre shot routine