1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Shooting Mental Game/Shooting Exercises

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OneShooter, Jul 1, 2013.

1. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

Before you get confused: this thread has two questions on it 1) What is your mental game before an invite where a 99 or 100 is needed to win (ie: Do you tell yourself you won't shoot well, don't worry about it, etc.), 2) What are some shooting exercises you can do on a practice trap to help prevent moving your gun before you see the bird (I know there's a name for it but I can't think of it atm)

2. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Q # 1, At every shoot I go to I anticipate needing a 100 to win. I practice accordingly. I intend to break that 100 on every event, if I don't I am not satisfied. I hate second or third place even if it is just by 1 target. Practice accordingly, shoot your best, move up the Class rungs and move back on the handicap yardage.

Q # 2, lay off the caffienated beverages. Relax. Slow down. See the target, break the target.

Just one opinion.

Don T. Littleton CO

3. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

You mean that 5th cup of coffee right before I go out has a negative effect?

4. flashmax

HeH.

I saw a fellow drinking one of those "energy drinks" at the Colo State Shoot. He didn't shoot very well but refused to even consider what the high dose caffein was doing to his system.

Don T. Littleton CO

5. GGCGuy

GGCGuy TS Member

Are you talking about me Don? Cause I was all wired on those the first day at the CO State shoot and could not settle down that day. Stuck to nothing but water the second day and shot my best singles score ever. Nice and calm and didn't jump a single bird. Well maybe 1. I learned my lesson, no caffeine on shoot days.
    As for the practice for not jumping birds, have someone pull for you instead of using the mics. Tell them to not pull a bird every so often(without you knowing when), if your gun goes after one when there isn't one there you know you got an issue. I know this sounds goofy, but when you're on the line focus on your breathing. In through the nose and out through your mouth. It'll help you stay focused.

6. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

I'll give it a shot GGC, don't hurt nothing. Thanks.

7. flashmax

Nah, I was refering to Cutter. I've been helping him where I can and he sometimes listens. You did good. You're right about the breathing thing. If you are concentrating between targets on breathing you can't get all flustered about the upcoming bird. Good breathing keeps your eyes working at top form and is a calming exercise too.

See you tomorrow.

Don T. Littleton CO

8. flashmax

Yo, Keller. Keep on drinking them then.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration says a stimulant used in supplements and some energy drinks that are popular with kids and young adults is dangerous.

The agency Thursday warned parents and consumers to avoid supplements, including energy drinks, containing dimethylamylamine (DMAA), while it undertakes the lengthy and complicated process of getting the stimulant banned.

"The (FDA) is using all available tools at its disposal to ensure that dietary supplements containing a stimulant called dimethylamylamine (DMAA) are no longer distributed and available for sale to consumers in the marketplace," it said in a written release distributed to media and posted on its website.

"The ingredient, DMAA, is most commonly used in supplements promising weight loss, muscle building and performance enhancement; it can elevate blood pressure and could lead to cardiovascular problems, including heart attack, shortness of breath and tightening of the chest. Given the known biological activity of DMAA, the ingredient may be particularly dangerous when used with caffeine," the FDA said.

An FDA fact sheet lists 10 other names the supplement is known by on labels, including methylhexanamine or geranium extract, and said it "is an ingredient found illegally in some dietary supplements and often touted as a 'natural' stimulant. DMAA, especially in combination with other ingredients such as caffeine, can be a health risk to consumers. Ingestion of DMAA can elevate blood pressure and lead to cardiovascular problems ranging from shortness of breath and tightening in the chest to heart attack. Dietary supplements containing DMAA are illegal and FDA is doing everything within its authority to remove these products from the market. FDA has issued warning letters to companies notifying them products with DMAA need to be taken off the market or reformulated to remove this substance. Most companies warned are no longer distributing products with DMAA. While FDA is working to get these products off the market, consumers should not buy or use any dietary supplement product containing DMAA."

Don T. Littleton CO

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

2 Bud's and a Joint would help.

Curt

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Prosaic, Valium, crazy weed, sex, Jim Beam, Millers, Gallo Red Mountain? Lots of options. But, maybe not being concerned about it may be the best option. Just do you best and trust yourself.

Search tags for this page

trap shooting exercises