1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Shoot Routine - clearing the mechanism

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spitter, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Following up on the "hold points" thread... when you're in your "pre-shoot routine", how do you "clear the mechanism" in preparation for calling the bird?!

edit... yes, clarification - how do you clear your mind or gain focus in preparation for calling for the bird?! - thanks to Bob!

regards all,

Jay

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

If you are referring to the trap, you don't unless there is a broken target etc when you call for your bird. If you are referring to your mind, just gaze out there above the trap house and think "see the bird"

Bob

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I do the above, only I say "target".

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Let your sub conscious mind handle the important stuff. HMB

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I heard that someone asked Big Leo what he thinks about when calling for a target and he said "nothing" ... I am going to start practicing that myself and see how it works, because what I have been thinking about ain't working ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Did i lock the truck..... Is the hot scorer 2 traps over watching me........

See why i suck? LOL

7. neofight

neofight TS Member

I'm still a relative newby to this, so my pea-brain is not filled with experiences to draw from that might otherwise cloud my ability to listen to the guy to my left fire,allow me to shoulder my thunderstick and before any thoughts such as what am i having for dinner, is anyone complaining about my "Is it 2012 yet?" sticker on my truck or "Oh my God, it's my turn to shoot" enter my cranium,i call out in my best Barry Manilow imitation:"Pull" and watch a solid disc magically turn to dust(most of the time).

All seriousness aside, i think of nothing and focus on the bird and try my best to swing to it and break the little &*%#@. I find a standing position that is comfy at each station, keep the same pace going for loading, shooting and un-loading, don't look around at what's happening on either side of me. I'm like a statue, only warmer.

John B.

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

visualize a solid break, think of nothing call for bird

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Different people have and need different patterns. I have a buddy I shoot with, he takes a practice round to get ready. I've found I do better when I don't. We both shoot in the AA to AAA classes.

Ajax

10. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I start as I approach the station, kinda thinking like I would in the tee box getting ready for a drive. Looking out where I want to see the targets, set my feet, rest the gun, a few relaxing breaths. At that point, I try to turn off the brain and go to automatic mode. Someone told me the real key is being completely relaxed. When I get there, it does seem I do break alot of targets. Go figure.

HJH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting pre shot routine