1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre Grand Doubles Carryover to Monday?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RLC323, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Just got the Grand program today. I understand that pre-Grand week doubles are all carry over. But am I reading it right that Sunday's doubles and resulting carry-overs from before, are not going to be shot off until Monday's program is over?

I always though that pre-Grand and the Grand week were two separate events and all was to be concluded Sunday night. There are MANY shooters who come for pre-Grand and leave Sunday night and not return. Not too sure that a carry over is good for this Sunday event, most folks if they can not stay and have a chance to win will leave and skip that last event. Including me.

2. Littleboots

Littleboots Member

Kolar shoot off also same. shoot Sun and shoot out for prize is Monday Leaving Sun night also.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused about the Sat/Sun singles. what's the starting times for both. they're listed a bit peculiar...

4. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

I can see both sides of the issue. Sunday they will shoot the Handicap as soon after the last event as they can. Management will then have the singles shootoff. Since it is a 100 bird singles event there should be lots of people that will have advanced to the shootoff. Once the Singles are done then they would have to set the fields for Doubles and hope to start by midnight.

I quess the question is, would someone that was needing to leave stick around for a midnight shootoff? Then what about the several All-Around and High Overall Shootoffs. Those events might not get shot until 3 AM.

The revision I would propose is to have the Saturday and Sunday singles shot as a true 200 bird event on one day and then have Doubles and Handicap on the other day allowing more time to close out the Preliminary week. However, that is not what was decided.

See ya at the Grand,
    CA

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I read the sat/sun 200 to be one event. did I read this wrong??

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

No, you didn't read it wrong, they are one event (NRA Singles).

7. RLC323

RLC323 Member

The singles is a single 200 target event shot on separate days, 9 a.m. start time for first 100 Saturday morning,then the second hundred 9 a.m. Sunday morning. The program shows the 200 singles as event 12, confusing indeed.

I guess they will carry over the doubles shoot-offs to Monday with the assumption that many of the same participants will be involved in Sunday night singles shootoffs.

Still it is not exactly fair to anyone who is only able to attend pre-grand week. I always felt that pre-Grand was the "working-mans" Grand. Take the week off work and shoot 100 of each discipline each day with the whole thing wrapped up Sunday evening.

Seems every year the ATA does more to cater to the "elite" who can afford to stay for the entire 2 weeks, at the expense of the "working man" shooter. No doubt to why Grand week entries fall each year.

8. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I think folks need to be careful with assumptions about when Event 12 will start.

There are a few typos and formatting errors in this year's Grand program, and the 9am start time for event 12 on Saturday is one of them. The events will be shot in numerical order. Notice this announcement on the pre-squad form:

"Event #12 is a 200 target singles event shot the last 100 targets on Saturday
    and the first 100 targets on Sunday."

So, Saturday, Aug. 8th we will shoot doubles, handicap, and singles in that order. Then on Sunday we will shoot singles (the 2nd hundred of the NRA Singles event), handicap and doubles.

Last year the NRA Singles was shot over two days and the order was singles, handicap, and doubles both days. Obviously when they created this year's program they moved the Saturday "header" information with the singles when they shouldn't have. Actually, this year makes it a little less confusing. Last year event 10 (NRA Singles) had two events in between the two hundreds. This year there will be no events between the two hundreds. There will just be a long, overnight, break.

9. RLC323

RLC323 Member

You make a good point GL. Too bad there are not enough retired/pro shooters to pay the bills. As attendance trends would indicate.

Most working shooters plan and subit their vacation schedule months ahead, mine went in in February. Little did I know back then that pre-Grand would continue until Monday night!

So Saturday will be EZ Go Doubles (we assume will start at 9 a.m. as it is not listed in the program ), Blaser 100 Handicap, and then to finish the day the first 100 of the NRA Singles.

10. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

RLC -

Given the probable number of shoot-offs necessary on Sunday evening (Sunday's Handicap, all singles for the week, prelim HOA) someone above predicted that if they also held the doubles shoot-offs on Sunday that they probalby would be finished (or possibly not even be started) until the wee-hours of Monday morning.

So the question is, does it matter if the shoot-off is Monday night at 9 pm or Monday morning at 2 am. Would that impact anyone's decision to stay past the completion of the regular events on Sunday.

Outside of the suggestion of shooting all 200 singles on Saturday so singles shoot-offs can finish on Saturday night, I'm not sure how else the schedule could be arranged so that doubles could be shot-off on Sunday.

(And for the record, I'm only planning to shoot the first week and will be leaving on Sunday after the regular events).

Scott

11. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I can understand the reasoning behind the decision. I just think it is wrong. Doubles shootoffs usually never extend deep into extra rounds like singles, especially in A class and lower. Get the Doubles and Handicap (of course) decided Sunday night.

If it is not an issue to carry over the doubles shootoffs into Monday Grand week, why not just go ahead and throw tradition out the window and carry over the prelim singles ties into Mondays Class championship?

The majority of those involved in the singles shootoffs will be there "for the duration" anyway. You can figure on those AAA shooters going on forever like last year.

12. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

The Pre-lims should all be settled Sunday! We had a couple of good shooters scr-ed by this a couple of years ago.Waited around all night for shoot off on Sunday night and then sent home!They had to work the next day.

Terry

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If shoot-offs can't held, someone's attempting to throw too many targets daily!AND, at the largest club in the country??

What's next, trophies only awarded at the end of the target year so we can shoot even more targets without worrying about such trivial things as settling whose hottest today? An even longer term carry over?, what a crock!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.