1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-64 Winchester "Aura"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pendennis, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Pre-64 Winchester

I've seen many Winchester Model 12 shotguns for sale, both here and many other places. After looking at many of them, I'm still unable to differentiate, by appearance, the Pre- and Post-64 Winchester Model 12's.

My understanding of the pre-64 Winchester phenomenom, was that it applies to the Model 70 rifles. I understand that the pre-64 had the Mauser claw extractor, and several other features which made it superior to the post-64 models.

Did Winchester change the mechanics of all its long arms, Models 94, 100, 12, etc., or is this a bit of hype by some sellers?

Best,
    Dennis

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Pre-64 Winchester

To the best of my knowledge the difference is how the componets are made the pre 64 parts were made to a more rigid and exacting standards. A kin to a mass produced Ford and a " built by hand" Bently.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Pre-64 Winchester

Rack a shell in a "Y" Model and rack a shell in a pre 64 Model 12 and you will feel the difference unless the "Y" Model has been worked on, then the "Y" Model will have nicer wood ... Milled parts, not stamped and hand fitted ... "Smooth" ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Pre-64 Winchester

After 1964, many of the components for the guns Winchester made, were from an investment casting, not machined from a billet of steel.

Though some would argue that the finished product was inferior (I personally don't think so), the alloy mixture did have some odd mix. For this reason, rebluing can be a real chore. Model 94's and M-12's especially. Winchester decided to just plate the 94's with a flash of black chrome. It was so thin, that it didn't take long for a mis-handled (not oiled) gun to start rusting. The M-12's need a special brew of black oxide (bluing) to get the receiver's an even black.

Doug

5. JHS

JHS TS Member

Pre-64 Winchester

I have one of each; a 1973 vintage Y Model trap gun and a 1960 Skeet gun. I love them both and can't see any real difference in the smoothness of operation or macth up/fit of parts. I bought both guns as new ,the Y model with box.

The Y model does have a receiver machined from a casting which has a visible brown tint to it.

I plan to shoot the Y Model this year in lieu of my MX2000,I think that much of it.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.