1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Prayers for Wayne Mayes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JLSO5, Mar 13, 2013.

1. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

Please say a prayer for Wayne and his family. He was burning some old gun powder when it explode on him burning 65 to 70% from the chest down. He had 2nd and 3rd degree burns and at 69 they have put him into a coma out of the pain. First surgery is Thur.
    Beat skeet shooter ever and needs to win one more.

2. loverk32

loverk32 TS Member

not only is wayne one of the best allround shooters at any shotgun venue, he is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable shot gun man there is.

all of us stand ready to help in anyway we can. larry mcalister

3. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

Wayne has always been a class act and has given a great deal to the shooting sports, especially Skeet. Here is wishing for the best outcome and recovery for Wayne and support for Linda and Wayne's family. Lyle

4. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

So sad to hear this. I will say a prayer for him. Jeff

6. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

in my prayers.

dave swerdlin

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Get well soon!

Shannon Mayes

8. 548

548 Guest

Easy to do. Who hasn't messed around with old powder before. Lesson to all of us.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Prayers being sent.

Matt

10. Papineau

Papineau TS Member

....give us this day our daily bread....

Wayne has always exhibited a positive attitude, even upon ending a long run. He says every long run begins with a lost target.++

Smokeless powders are all nitrogen based, nitroglycerine or nitrocellulose. The safest way to dispose of this stuff is to sprinkle it on the lawn or in the garden. It's good for earthworms and such. No need to burn it. Please pass it on.

Pap

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

12. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Prayers to an unbelievable clay target shooter.

13. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

National Skeet Shooting Association

For all our friends who may not know yet; Wayne Mayes was involved in an accident at his home on Monday afternoon which left him badly burned. Below is an update from John Haugh who spoke with Linda:

"Hey all of our shooting community: I spoke with Linda this morning. She said that the doctors said Wayne had a "good day" yesterday. They have thoroughly examined his eyes and there are no lacerations etc. That is great news. If Wayne has another "good day" today, taking fluids, stabilizing, etc. they might start skin graft operations as early as Thursday. They keep Wayne sedated for pain management but he is able to hear Linda. The ICU is small and for protection from possible infection there is no visitation.
    He is not out of the woods yet, but the doctors were pleased with yesterday’s progress.
    This is a marathon for Wayne and they say he has to take it one day at a time. Linda has some family/friends support around her.
    At this point we need to continue our prayers and positive thoughts for the both of them and the medical folks taking care of Wayne."

Update from BigBore~~~ (Thanks Jeff)

14. johnboy

johnboy Member

I took a clinic from Wayne in the late 90s' which I really enjoyed. Hopefully Wayne's condition will improve and I am sure he would appreciate get well wishes from fellow shooters. At some point during his recovery if someone could post an address I would like to send a get well card.

I will also add I suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns over 40% of my body and spent 3-4 weeks in a burn unit and weeks in physical therapy. Wayne has a very rough road in front of him.

15. P-Stick

P-Stick Member

One the best shooters in the world, and one of the best ambassadors for all shooting sports.

God Bless Wayne.

16. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Rebecca A. Myers
    Just talked to Jamie in San Antonio. Wayne's still in the coma for today (at MAMSEE = Brooke) at the burn center. The docs plan to start skin grafting tomorrow morning at 8 am. Survival stats are still scary...but we all know Wayne-o is a fighter. Jamie plans to be with Linda all day tomorrow at the hospital and will get info out as it becomes available. He plans to use me as his East Coast point of communication. Linda's hanging tough...but she's got a lot to deal with here. Re. accident (I know everyone is curious). A wind gust caused the problem as he was disposing of old powder...caught his "famous" navy blue nylon shorts on fire. The worst burns cover about 55% of his body. No eye or lung damage - but bad enough as it is.

17. hoot619

hoot619 Member

I imagine there are a lot of prayers for him and mine also. A lot
    of us read these and just do it. sometimes respond to thread or
    just do the right thing. Ken U

18. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I had read at some point about his shooting skills....skeet as I recall? I also heard he was a great trap shooter....winning events at the Grand??

19. Battue

Battue Member

Wayne is a great shot, but extremely unassuming. I can only recall him talking about his personal shooting accomplishments on one occasion. Ironically it was not a story about skeet or one of the 40+ World titles he won; it was a story about trapshooting.

Wayne recalled that he was in a shoot off for the High All Around Championship at the Grand. He explained in great detail how he had a couple bird lead in the shoot off and felt he was in the driver's seat. Near the end of the shoot off he let a few birds slip and came in second. It was one of the few times he let a championship event get away from him and he seemed a bit haunted by it.

It saddens me to think of the long road to recovery that he has ahead of him. He is in the best burn unit in the world and his personality is uniquely suited for the road ahead. He will, however, need many prayers to get through this.

Pat

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Wayne would excel in any shooting discipline. Very George Digweed like. He'd probably give old George a go.

Search tags for this page

wayne mayes accident