1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pray for Colorado Springs - Picture

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blade819, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I was notified last night that the entire Rockrimon area of Colorado Springs, (NW Springs along the Front Range), has been evacuated. Thirty thousand people in all. I lived in this beautiful are for one year and our house was 2 blocks from the fire line. It breaks our heart that we are seeing this. Please pray for those who have been evacuated with those also from Manitou Springs and also the Fire Fighters who are trying to control this tradgedy. The picture shows my old neighborhood below the fire.

blade819

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Blade,

My wife and I were returning from the big hotrod show held in Pueblo every year at this time and saw this fire around 2:30 in the afternoon as we passed through the 'Srings.

We could see the smoke about 20 miles away and knew then it was going to be bad. When we approched from the South end of town, we could see flames going through the trees. They were huge!!!

Yesterday about noon, they were saying the fire was manageable, no lives lost, no homes burned.
    Then about 4 in the afternoon, we had a huge front pass through the state and it was bringing 40 mph winds. With that, the fire starting moving around 3-5 miles an hour.

Stuff they were showing on the news was bad. We still have 6 major fires going on around the state, with the High Park fire consuming over 81,000 acres and almost 300 homes.

Might check out our Denver and CSP tv web sites for pics.

3. larryjk

larryjk Member

Fellows, The summer is not over. Now is the time for the environmentalists to say what they are opposed to now; maybe smoke. I see some Forest Service employees are opposed to the use of aerial retardent. They are stupid and don't know the formulation has been changed since the big die-off in Oregon from a load getting into a stream. Using aerial retardent is about the only way to keep a fire small until firefighters can get on the fire. Hit the fires small and keep them that way. The other way the environmentalists don't like is to manage the forests as a renewable resource and convert the trees to lumber before the bark beatles attack when they are old. Trees aare liviing things and will always live and eventually die. If they aren't used, they become firewood.

4. blade819

Fort Carson is a tender box area also. I believe that we saw one friends house burning on TV last night. My house was aginst the "Front Range" due South of AF Academy property. We loved the area sooooooo much that our hearts are breaking for these people. By the way, in a good market, the homes where I used to live are 700 - 900K homes. The forecast does not look good. Rick... I'm glad you are ok. I remember driving thru the big one in Boulder 2 Labor Days ago. Let's pray for rain.

blade819

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have many friends over there in the Sprgs, some also in the Woodland Park area. Most have been evacuated and some have no homes left. It is very sad indeed. They evacuated the Air Force acadamey which is really close to my old home

6. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Yep, been here all my life(69yrs), breaks my heart too. Been going up the Poudre to hunt, fish and camp for all my life and it is on fire too. Just proves that there is only one sure thing in life, nature rules! Good luck to all.

7. blade819

Talked to a friend today who works in DC but has a 700K home sitting empty on woodman blvd. She isn't flying there until next week because " she knows all she'll find is rubble and ashes". I almost cried when she said that.

blade819

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    http://michellemalkin.com/2012/06/20/how-obama-bureaucrats-fueled-western-wildfires/

The real tragedy is this fire would have had a better chance of being fought if the Obama Administration had not slashed the aerial tanker fleet.

And in Oregon, there's a 747 air tanker owned by Evergreen Aviation that has flown around the world to fight fires - but has never been used in the USA. It is the biggest jet air tanker ever and it sits idle while Colorado Springs burns.

Thanks Obama.

9. Rick Barker

He is planning on coming out here Friday to take a first hand look and give thanks to the firefighters.

Of course he will cause air traffic and ground traffic disruption, who knows what effect it will have on the fire fighters job.

Maybe he will wave his hand and make it all better.

"The private sectors doing fine"

10. blade819

Brian In Oreeeeeegon.... it's Obama's fault that in 2009 the at the time Colorado Springs City Administrator/Mayor refused many millions of dollars in stimulus money that would have modernize the Springs Fire Departments and would have put more boots on the ground. Please politicize other's threads will ya? Don't pollute mine that had the best of intentions. Oh yea Rick...you too.

blade819

11. trench12

trench12 TS Member

Brian is just putting the blame exactly where it belongs. BHO has failed this country in soo many ways. Maybe he will turn AF1 into a water bomber. Aw hell, might as well blame this on Busch too!

12. Brian in Oregon

Obama operates in a vacuum. The more who know about fire fighting resources being grounded, the more who will criticise Obama, and hopefully he will cave and get you the help you need.

But whatever. Good luck.

13. Rick Barker

My post polictical????

Really??

Sorry.

14. Rick Barker

latest update,9:30 PM RMDST, Over 200 homes destroyed, and 32,000 plus people evacuated from their homes.

Governor asking Obama to declare this fire a national disaster.

15. addictedtotrap

addictedtotrap Member

I have an old friend whos ex works for the CSFD ( her son also) and she is a ERT for the CSPD, She lives in Woodland Park, hasnt got the call to evacuate yet but she says its a day to day thing out there..
    Got an e-mail from her just today.

I was stationed there in Cheyenne Mountain for 3 years, lived there a total of 5 years been all over those mountains.. Man its rough to see the mountains I woke up to everyday all ablaze, wont ever be the same....

Jake

16. Rick Barker

Fire now 10% containted and 346 houses destroyed. Over 500 houses lost between this and other fires in Colorado.

As much as I think I would like to have a home in the mountains, I never will.

17. cafowler

cafowler Member

CalFire has a DC-10 tanker really set-up for this application, WUI, wildland urban interface. Lots of retardent when fire is about to get expensive. I've heard it's $1M price tag just to leave the barn so they don't use it very often. There's some video on the internet of it dropping, i think it's a mile long drop. To bad someone in Colorado didn't ask for aid, it could have been on the fire in 2 hours, with multiple drops during the day. With 350 homes lost so far, this will be an expensive one for the insurance company's. You'd think they would pull the trigger and order one of these up to cut their losses, some computer model must be able to spit out a projected loss to the big homeowner's insurance firms. Hope the loss of homes is all, and there's no lost lives from this one.

18. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Any bets no one is fighting it during the night hours.

That was the way we used to do it, but in today's world, when things are to dangerous we go the easy route.

Building fire line at night was dangerous, but you posted look outs to warn of rolling rocks and falling trees. BUT we did it!

Worked all night, slept during the day, you did sleep from exhaustion.

Forest fires lay down at night and blow up during the day time.

19. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I was just in Colorado Springs on business staying at the Broadmoor Hotel. They had shut down Pikes Peak narrow gauge railroad, were evacuating the Air Force Academy, and pretty much closed Manitou Springs. Although the actual fires were quite distant from the Broadmoor the air was oft times thick with smoke and visible flames could be seen day and night. They say the historic Flying W Ranch was destroyed. What a shame to see the countryside devastated. I was in Durango last fall and saw the results of the fire they had north of town several years ago. The countryside is still very damage although making a comeback.

God bless and safe return to all the firefighters and EMS personnel on the front lines.

20. Brian in Oregon

The Flying W Ranch is indeed destroyed. Totally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pray for colorado springs images