1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Prarie pothole duck reproduction

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

We all know the prarie pothole area is the major duck producer of North America, but there is a lesser known nesting area twenty-five miles north of the Mexican border which produces it's share of newly minted mallards. It is not widely recognised, but the 10'X 8' pond in my bank's parking lot is a major local producer of peepers. I'm already planning a blind over by the ATM.

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/wireguy/?action=view&current=localcolor387Medium.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My mother in law gets wild Mallards mixed in with her domestic ducks and geese in her pond. The attrition rate is a bit higher than we like, because of owls, coyotes and at least one bobcat. One year an otter moved in and decimated every bird. We also have a pair of wood ducks nesting in the nearby fir trees. Once the kitchen is done I'm going to make some wood duck nests for next year.

3. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Brian, a good trapper can take care of the otter, bobcat and coyote. I don't know how the quality of your coyotes in Oregon is, but November caught otters are nice from just about anywhere in that latitude. Predator control works, especially when done annually in winter for the furs.

4. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

A well placed #3 Blake & Lamb will take care of any otter,cyote,bobcat problem that one might encounter.........just a thought.
    D.P.Reynolds

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

cool

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Model Number 12, I don't trap. And I don't want traps set on the property. But I do hunt, and have been taking a fairly steady toll of coyotes there.

The otter was there and moved on before I got my furbearers license (license to hunt, not trap). And that covers the bobcat too, but the season closed recently. (Coyotes only need a regular hunting license.)

7. 700X-user

700X-user Member

"License? We don't need no stinking license!" (badges)

Funny line from a funny movie! No closed season on predators in my book.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

parker reproductions duck