1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Praire Poodles in South Dakota ???????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WarEagle2017, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

I recently called a phone number that had been given to Me by a friend to a Indian reservation in southern SD that is suppose to be a great spot for shooting Prairie Dogs, I was trying to book a shoot for May, I was told that the Plague had set in and that there wont be any prairie dogging this summer, does anyone know if this is State wide or only certain areas. ??????

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I've been told the plague has nearly wiped them all out in Wyoming, too.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It happened when I lived in SD 15 years ago on the Redbud Reservation. We still hunted them but did not go near them

4. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

If it's Red Bug you're thinking about, I would forget it. If you are on rez. land you will have to buy a rez. license AND hire a rez. guide for a $100.00/day. He will happily sit in his truck drinking beer watching you trying to shoot the one remaining PD living in the shot up dogtown from the day before. I have learned over the last few years that PD's are the new cash crop for ranchers in the dakota's. We are in the process of relocating several colonies to Iowa and let 'em breed for a few years.........

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I need to import some to our place, sure had fun shooting them when i was stationed at Ellsworth, being a farm kid it was easy to make friends with the ranchers and they wanted to get rid of them, I did my best to help

6. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

It was great shooting PD's back in the late 70's; people would wave you in to their ranch, pour you a cup of coffee, feed you lunch, even offer you extra ammo if you would shoot as many of "them little sumbitches" as possible!

But, like anything else that gets too popular too quickly, it wasn't long before "guided hunts" and "varmint hunter magazines" signalled the decline of what used to be a simple and enjoyable past time.

My three most favorite and relaxing hunting experiences were shooting PD's, squirrels, and rabbits.

Now PD shooting is more work than its worth, the squirrels all live on the city golf course and the rabbits are all in assisted living.

Kiv

7. rw993

rw993 Active Member

PDs are not cheap! We shoot squirrels in Northern Nevada near the California and Oregon borders. The ranchers are amenable and squirrels plentiful. These are not the grey/silver backed squirrels in California, they are smaller, brown and explode nicely with a 223 balistic tip.

Cedarville or Denio

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.