1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Prado Shooting Range Under Water -- Again!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DB Bill, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I was driving past the Prado Shooting Range today and noticed that, once again, it's 100% underwater up to the point that I could just barely see the very top of one of the skeet houses....couldn't see the trap houses, the sporting clys area, or the club house.

If I get a chance I'll get a pic of 2 on Sunday.

2. superump

superump TS Member

sad - hate to hear that anytime - post some pics if you get them.

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hope they removed the machines...

4. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

They always pull the machines when the rain is forecasted like it was.

On a good note, Redlands Shooting Park was up and running on Thursday last week.

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I thought that Prado had closed a year ago??? Fred

6. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Catch Up!

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Spome pics of Prado Olympic Shooting Park:

Top of the club house

[​IMG]

Top of the skeet houses

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, the trap houses are waaaaay under water.

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Man that's awful. It's a nice place. Didn't Prado flood last year too? It does sit in a river flood plain so if this is going to become a yearly event a "plan B" is in order.

10. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I've seen this happen before, once on the other side of the road in the early 80's and again a few years ago. The damage is complete. Almost all the electrical had to be changed and the clubhouse was a total loss inside.

The owner of Prado is a good friend of mine. I will call him and find out how much of the inside furnishings and shotgun stuff they had time to remove. Also he has another pro-shop on the other side for the rifles and pistol shooting people, hope they had time to remove all those items as well.

Whatever they were able to save the cost will be considerable to repair. And yes they are located in a flood plain. Usually what happens is the Army Corps of Engineers will not open the dam enough to stop the flooding as they don't want to flood the downstream cities of Anaheim, Orange, and Santa Ana.

What a shame.

Tom Strunk

11. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Wow!! Sending you best wishes from Pennsylvania.

Our clubhouse roof collapsed last winter in the heavy snowfall we had, so we sort of know what this is, but all the trap and skeet houses will be a large cleanup for you guys.

Good luck with the muddy mess.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

Why would they have built in the area?

Too bad to see the investment going to waste.

Don Verna

13. Baber

Baber TS Member

Prado was located in a water impoundment area because it was intended to be a temporary facility for the 1984 Olympics. The LA Olympic committee did not want to host shooting at all and a compromise was made to put it a flood prone area in San Berdinato county. This is probably the 5th or 6th time this has happened. It's the ultimate in Anti gun harassment.

TB

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

TB,

I suppose it makes sense. Build something with taxpayer money that is doomed to fail. I feel badly for the folks that are trying to make it work.

It looks like a great place when it is not under twelve feet of water.

Don Verna

15. Baber

Baber TS Member

At least they are still shooting there. The Range built for the Atlanta Games was bull dozed a few years back. It was a racial thing.... we be the wrong color...

TB

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Chad,

It is with sympathy and hope that things will work out for you and Prado. Speaking for myself and likely all shooters and your friends, the pictures of the water give me a sick feeling. May things work out the best that they can.

David Buchman
    Los Angeles

17. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Just got off the phone with my friend Chad Carlson the owner of Prado at 3:00 pm AZ time.

As stated before he has gone thru this before, last time was in 2005.

This time he knew what to do and what to expect. Chad told me the guy down the street recorded 17 inches of rain there. SEVENTEEN INCHES OF RAIN in a few days that's unbelievable in SoCal !!! This was also the first time in 88 years that they had to let water out of Big Bear reservoir which was approx. 30 plus miles upstream.

The good news is that Chad was ready this time. All power was killed by Edison (electric supplier) and Chad removed everything from the area, yes everything, except the clubhouse which will be distroyed and a new smaller clubhouse will be brought in that can be pulled away to higher ground should the need arise.

Chad said that they are waiting to have a storm drain repaired downsteam before the Corps can begin releasing water from the dam. Once the water has been drained he expects to be up and running in just a few days. Then the shooting can begin !!

Tom Strunk

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Thanks Tom ... that is better news !

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

If that lake has recreational users, their lobby gets their political pals to pressure Corp of Engineer to keep the level up to benefit the recreational users and the businesses serving them. With the level high, the lake doesn't have enough capacity to store the run-off from a storm. The Corp then only has the choice of flooding behind the dam or below the dam. Ultimately below the dam gets flooded.

Politicians probably justified the expense of building the dam with figures showing the saving in property damage in floods. But keeping the lakes full to benefit the recreational users negates the flood control measures.

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Big Bear Lake is not entirely recreational. It provides water to the City of Redlands and likely to surrounding areas. Perhaps So-Cal needs to provide more means to catch and store run off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

prado shooting range flooded

prado shooting range rain issues

trap shooting lessons prado shooting park