1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Practicing with a Super full choke?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Is it effective to practice with a super full turkey choke and theen switch ot an IM or Full for competition?

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

No....Practice with the same choke you shoot competition with. I prefer a .034" choke for singles and handicaps, and a .020"/.032" for doubles. You must remember to pattern your barrel with ALL your choke tubes. Not all tubes will shoot the same POI through the same barrel. Do yourself a big favor: screw in a full choke, learn to shoot it, and leave it there. No more problems...Just my opinion....Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

Practice with what you compete with. Would you practice with a borrowed gun and then compete with yours? Probably not. Can you say, "consistancy"?

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I have a friend that tryed that . You will find your super full choke will pattern like crap . Shoot what you shoot it,s the only way

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I'll bet there's no practical difference anyway. Have any of you actually - I'll repeat that "actually" - patterned and counted the output of any of these super-full chokes? I haven't. But I am curious. Not enough to do the work involved, mind you, but curious.

Still - practice with what you intend to shoot, as all of the above have advised. Or just shoot full which is not such a bad idea either.

Neil

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The chief problem with using super full chokes is that small shot and really tight chokes don't play well together. Tight chokes were intended for turkey loads where size 4 shot (or thereabouts) is the norm. Excessive constriction squashes the little fellows into odd shapes that do not fly where you want them to; very hard to get consistent patterns at 30 or 40 yards using the combination.

Morgan

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Practice with the same choke you use in competition.

John C. Saubak

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have XF chokes, which are not nearly as tight as Turkey chokes, and out of the three barrels I have, only the Unsingle will produce what I want with it. The O/U barrels will not pattern worth a hoot with them!

Chances are, with small shot and the tremendous constriction Turkey chokes generally have, you will be disappointed. I used to practice with tight chokes and go to more open, but I got better scores with the tighter chokes.

There is no confidence builder like turning a solid into a vapor cloud! ;^)

9. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I think i'll just stay with my IM for everything. Thanks

10. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

40 thou for singles & hdcp

Gavin

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Interestingly some handicap trap choke tubes are as tight as extra full turkey chokes (but not as tight as most super fulls).<br.
    <br>
    Turkey chokes pattern best with hard shot. Even with premium turkey loads, it's interesting how much difference there is in patterns between brands and within brands. I've had some super full turkey chokes actually cube the premium shot from one manufacturer, while the premium shot from another was still round (and gave a ten yard difference in pattern density).

12. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

The best shooter I know uses a FC for feed back. He wants to know where he is hitting the target. But, you need to be at a level where it means somthing to you?

Jim

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

"Intuition" would lead one to believe that a tight choke for practice and a more open choke for registered may provide a slight advantage.

I had a heck of a time when I got my unsingle K-80 "Handicap" gun - fixed choke. (I had been shooting a Winchester O/U with M tube). After a few months of work, things have turned around for me. I believe the tighter choke has helped me become a better shot.

I use the gun from the 16 yard line and have gone from D class scores to A. I have also picked up 2 1/2 yards in the last few weeks.

Of course, maybe it is just luck. Only time will tell.

It does make sense to use the same set up in competition as you do in practice. One less thing to cloud your mind - at least for me.

I know the gun will crush targets. If a get a poor break, I can't "blame" it on using a more open choke and fool myself. It does not give me an "excuse" for the real problem - lifting my head, bad mount, flinch, stopping the gun etc etc. It is that "feedback" that forces concentration and steady improvement.

Don

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Don said! ;^)

15. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

So what do you all consider a "super full" choke? Darn near every Perazzi used to come with a 40 thou "full" from the factory. And, they shoot pretty darn good. Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.