1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

practicing on HOT targets

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

One club I practice at has a chronic habit of throwing pretty HOT (fast) targets, like 20% over regulation speed. I've also shot a bunch of practice at clubs in the past that threw >softies< instead. How much harm (or good?) do ya'll think it does ones skills for shooting properly set targets to be shooting a lot of these in practice?

John C. Saubak

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

To me it wouldnt matter but only help. Each range is different and shooting on different ranges is what can make you a much better shooter. Have you ever really sat back and thought about the background at range "A" and how it is different that range "B" or range "C" & "D" and how those different backgrounds make you perceive the target differently? Its kind of the same thing ...

I have shot skeet on more than a few occasions on a range that you can hear the old skeet machines hunnin and slunkin the targets on the next range except when the machines on your range is slunkin a target. The same complex has a trap machine that even with hearing protection on you can hear the trap machine hummin and slunkin. It is almost problematic when you get use to it all and then go to another range somewhere else that has quite machines ... you call for a bird and are surprised when you realize the bird is in the air and there aint been no noise at all made that you could hear.

Variations in target presentations can only make us all much better shooters so no I really dont see a drastic problem unless the birds are flying faster than international distance/speek or slower than Mini Me pushing a Kenworth over the Rockies.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

John.... I'll have to go against the grain here and say that I believe shooting "hot" targets will only contribute to poor scores. If you get used to shooting the faster targets and find yourself at a registered shoot shooting regulation speed targets you will find yourself jumping all over the slower targets and, in general, overshooting them. The same can be said for shooting the softer, slower targets in practice. If you end up shooting the faster regulation targets at a shoot you will find you are having trouble catching up to the target. Yes, you can EVENTUALLY adjust to the different speed targets you are shooting at the shoot, but it is usually AFTER you have dropped a few targets before you can make the necessary adjustments. There is absolutely no excuse these days for not shooting properly set targets, no matter where you go. If you really want to be on top of your game all the time you MUST do everything possible to guarantee you are shooting the best possible target you can get. Shooting great targets makes for shooting great scores. Shooting fast, hot targets or slow, puffball targets is a total waste of your time and money if you are seriously practicing to be the best "registered" shooter you can be....Just my opinion.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I remember watching Kay Ohye last fall at the Western Grand. The dark and windy weather put a smile on his face because he knew a lot of the other shooters would be psyched out by the conditions and the wild targets. Kay won the feature Handicap and the HOA and taught us a lesson.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I practice, although very little, shooting the same types of targets I would shoot in competition.

Pat Ireland

6. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Just like a baseball player who is fooled by off speed pitches, so is the trapshooter who practices shooting non standard targets. What helps in practice is an approach that focuses on fundamentals.

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know I have been thinking ... when a shooter complains about a fast, slow or bad targets that they cant hit they should realize and understand that it really aint the target but the shooter who just cant hit the friggin bird ... it aint always the target or load but usually its the shooter.

If a shooter does what they are supposed to do the targets will break.

8. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Wow that last help !* "_If a shooter does what they are supposed to do the targets will break_".*
    New shooter old shooter ? Whats your average Lumper ? 100 singles whats your handicap yardage 27 for eons . Give advise how to do the things the questioner
    Has asked if you can ! Sounds like your a guy with a standard anser for everything trap shooting . Advise ! Maybe you need some . When the student is ready the teacher would be also !

Pat Kelley

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Mr Kelley ... do you disagree that if you properly mount the gun, have the proper site picture with the proper lead and properly shoot the gun without flinching or taking your head off the stock or a mixture of other things that you should properly do ... that if you do everything correctly that you will not break the target?

If you do things correctly the target will break ... if you do things incorrectly the target will not break.

Just what is wrong with that? Do you some miracle way of breaking targets when you do the wrong things other than just sheer luck?

10. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Dear Mr Lumper

I do aggree with that advice ! And congradulations , You may have given this shooter some advice thats reasonable . I seldom try to provoke anyone . But
    After reading many of your posts , It would seem Your saving the other guy asking for help needs negitive feedback . Thats not the way to help . You have now corrected with discriptive advice on how too break the targets as best you can I believe , Thats how gentlemen shooters help . Clear consistant advice . Theres another shooter here who is excellent with His advice Pat Ireland . Im 25 yd and A singles and certainly dont have anything negitive say about someones shooting I have much room for improvement . There are lots of us around . Dear Sir Mr Lumper . Good day !

Pat Kelley

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.