1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

practicing at ATA yardage

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

My ATA yardage is 21, and I normally practice at 25 yards since that is where I normally end up in league shoots. Would practicing at my ATA yardage help me more with my ATA scores than practicing at 25 yards?

2. BMC

BMC Member

I think bob's suggestion is more in line with what a lot of people do in that regards. I remember Phil mentioning to shoot one yard back from your current yardage. The jist of what I got from it was meaning that once you move back one yard in the future, you will be accustomed to that yardage and not freak out because you moved back a little. I agree that around the 24-25 yard line things start to seem different for some people, myself included. In ATA I'm at 22.5. In my club I'm at the 24. In another weekly league we shoot from the 25-27 yard line. My slew of 95s at the 22 in ATA shoots could very well be because I shoot probably more from further back over a given month than a do from closer to my assigned ATA yardage.

3. Flench

Flench TS Member

I was on the 22 Yard line and was stuck there for a year. It dawned on me one day that everytime I went to practice it was either the 16 or the 27 where I was practicing from. I then started shooting 100 at least once a week from my Yardage. It took me about 3 months to make the 27.

Doyal Kirby

4. C H S

C H S TS Member

Two schools this year, Campbell and Ross-Martin, and they both said the same thing: practice from the yardage you shoot at. As you move back, the amount of gun movement required to go from hold point to fire point becomes less and less. You will build muscle memory for the amount of movement you need to reach targets at the yardage you shoot most often. If you practice a lot at long yardage and shoot from shorter yardage, you will end up shooting under targets because you won't be used to moving the gun as much as you need to.

Andy

5. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

If you are practicing, stay within a yard of your ATA yardage. There is plenty of time to shoot from long yardage. First you gotta get there.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Andy has it right. I took a Harlan Campbell class this spring and he said the same thing, practice at your yardage. (gained 3 yards in 600 targets since)

Bill

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Practicing anything is an effort to leash how to do something well. It makes sense to me to practice what you want to accomplish. If you want to learn how to shoot from the 22 yard line, practice from the 22 yard line.

I both like and respect Phil K., but he has little personal experience struggling from the 22 yard line trying to get back to the 23.

Pat Ireland

8. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

Would you practice free throws from half court?

9. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

No, but you might practice three point shots from different distances behind the three point line. Jake

10. C H S

C H S TS Member

But there's a difference with 3 point shots; you have to be ready to shoot them from any place beyond the 3 point line. You don't shoot 22 yard handicap from anyplace further away than 22 yards; you shoot it from exactly 22 yards away.

Andy

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Till you shoot well. The next day you move. And, if you are on top of your game, you move again the next day. Plan for success. Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.