1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Practice?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JBrooks, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I have often seen references here about "practicing", some for it, some against it. Because my dad was a multi-sport coach at both the high school and colligiate level, I grew up in a very athletic environment. The importance of practice was instilled in me at an early age. I have also had the opportunity to spend some time around PGA tour players. These guys, from Tiger Woods on down, practice like you can't believe.

In that far more hours are spent in practice than in competition in all organized sports, I was shocked at the wide spread disdain for practice that I found when I started shooting trap a couple of years ago. I am also surprised at how few shooters shoot a warmup round before competitions. Again, if you go to a golf tournament you will see the guys putting, chipping and hitting the range before their round. Why do Trapshooters think they don't have to practice and warmup?

2. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

JBrooks, I for one believe that practice is very important if you are to become a AA27AA Trapshooter. And I think that the practice should always be with the same intensity as that shown in a registered shoot. Unless you're working on some specific exercise your practice should be performed exactly as if you were in a major ATA event. To practice otherwise is counter productive.

I don't know of any good shooters who would say that practice isn't necessary. Some of the top shots don't practice much as they're often shooting 3,000 registered targets every month. Which leaves little time (and money) for practice, and really that's practice enough. cls

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Actually I think ALL serious Trapshooters practice a LOT, I know I shoot I'd say at least two or three times as many practice targets as tournament targets.
    Personally I never shoot any warmup on the practice traps at a tournament tho'------guess it goes back to my years of rodeoing? You do your practicing at home and you go to the rodeo to compete.

John C. Saubak

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Today is Sept. 23. So far this month I have spent 9 days shooting registered targets. I have not shot any practice targets. Rarely, I will open the club and shoot 200 practice rounds by myself and work on a specific problem. I only do this once or twice a year. I should practice a bit more but I have to average a 70+ hour work week and that is difficult when I spend so much time shooting ATA targets.

Pat Ireland

5. dshot

dshot Member

A shooter at our club started shooting reg.trap 3yrs ago, He practices 3 or 4 days a week(he is retired) now he shoots 100's in reg. shoots and 98 avg. in doubles and is on his way to the 27 yd. line. The shoots that don't practice are still shooting the same scores, some shoot they shoot real good, but mostly have the same avg. as when they started.

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I am a believer in practice as well. For me, however, practice has to be about improving my scores, not just spending the day on the line breaking targets. There is an old saying that goes something like this: "If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got". In order to achieve higher scores, one must constantly be chasing that extra target or two by refining your technique, style, etc. You must always be searching for the right "mindset", etc. If you are having any problems with certain targets, here is where you can address it. These things can only come from practice. Finding out for yourself what works for you and what doesn't. If you are at the top of your game, practice sessions will help you stay there.

For me, a practice round before singles and handicaps helps me to get into the proper "mindset" for shooting a 100 bird event. It also helps me get smoother and releases some of the stored up energy I feel just before I'm ready to compete. It puts me in the "ok, I'm ready" zone. While everyone practices for a different reason, I think practice is a very important part of becoming a top competitor in our sport.....Just my opinion....Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

I practice but not enough. Usually I am practicing to perfect something new - rarely just to burn up shells. And for me at my level that works. Sure I enjoy shooting socially on occasion, but just for the comeraderie (sp?) and the usual banter.

But I have a very good friend who pretty much constantly travels to shoots. He never practices nor does a warmup round. His rationale is: Never leave a straight on the practice field. Also understanding that big wins in trapshooting are somewhat rare aside from the three or four huge names who seem to win fairly regularly, and you understand why it is important to find yourself "in the zone" at a shoot, not on a practice round.

Like most things on this board, I have strong feelings both ways ;-). I am not good enough to spell out a definitive.

Steve O.

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

It should be obvious that trapshooting has no elements that improve with practice.

Practice is a sorry excuse to sell more ammo and targets.

Clinics and training tapes are just as bad.

Go out and shoot 100's. It is so simple.

Put the shot on the bird.

What the heck is so hard about that?

Don

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Unless I have some issues that seem to not go away. I shoot to win every time I shoot. Even if it's just A day down at the club shooting for fun. I do pratice my mount at home. I often find myself rushing to kill the target. When this happens I will on non event days. Take my time and not move the gun until i have said something like. I see you. your nothin but dust. You fly you die ect ect. then move to the kill.

10. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

JBrooks......Shooting is shooting.The personal effort should always be the SAME......call it what you will!

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Kim Rhode, see the link if you don't know who she is, practices at Oak Tree Gun Club and shoots as many as 400+ targets per day 5-6 days per week. Seems to work for her.

The concept of leaving straights on the practice trap is pretty funny. What, are you only allowed so many in your life?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.