1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Practice vs registered?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Everyone has been discussing choke for smoke, 71/2 vs 8 vs 81/2 forever.--I go 2 choke sizes tighter in practice and use 7/8 of 81/2 for practice. However in a registered shoot I've seen several shooters that I would call spray & pray using LM & pushing 11/8 to the limits. They shooting way above average, one won a state title. What would I be sacrificing if I went to a more open choke with max weight according to my scale & not the shot bar weight. Just wondering would I too be better off shooting 11/8(true weight) of 81/2 with a LM for singles @ 1145, instead of the 1 oz of 81/2 @1200 with an IM I currently use---thanx Phil---I' almost exhausted all my brown patterning paper from Lowes---

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would practice with the same choke and shell that you intend to use for registered shoots. The shell you select should be the one you have the most confidence in.

Pat Ireland

3. bigben

bigben Active Member

Chatbrat, I'm with Pat, your buddies shooting above average means he's shooting at a class B level, I would emulate the AAA shooters method first, see what most of them are shooting in the way of chokes and you'll find full and extra full in their barrels, then you'll find that shells really don't matter very much at 16yd. shooting, 27yd. handicap, yes! incinerate em!

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I agree with bigben . The only time you need a choke tube is shooting Sporting Clays . Trap is a full choke game Use all the BB,s the law will let you .

5. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

Chat - KISS

Keep

It

Simple

Sir

It is a real simple situation!

Who cares what you practice with? What you shoot at the registered target is what goes in the record books.

I use STS 1 1/8 2 3/4D 8's - Caps Nitro 7.5's - Doubles 1 oz reload 8's - 2nd shot 3D Fed Top Gun 8's.

I do not vary from that much!

Plan the work - work the plan!

Oh - IM for 16's & caps - Mod/IM for twins!

Bang Bang - their dead!

38-01615

6. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Phil, I sure wouldn't call any of the NC State Champs "Spray and Pray Shooters". Best as I recall, they were all pretty darned good "As Usual". Just my observation. J.Woolsey

7. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Practice with what you're going to shoot registered with. Shoot registered with what you break birds best with (which convienently usually means what you get the best breaks AND hit the most birds with). Therefore, practice with what you break birds best with. Pretty much what everyone else above said already. I also agree on the Full choke theory, my singles and especially my caps scores went up when I started using one. Doubles, I use my regular 16-yardline load for both shots and use IM/F. That makes it even more simple. Good luck, it is a lot of fun trying new loads and seeing what does work best for you.

8. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Unfortunately, some of us find the stupid cost of lead, well, just stupid. At $38 a bag, THAT is why many people have switched to 7/8 or 1oz. for practice! AND shooting 7/8 with a full choke makes you bear down a bit more and make you try to center the target a little more, which I think is great practice. One of the guys shoots practice doubles with 7/8 on both shots! When he goes to 1 1/8oz during a registered, boy does he grind them up!

Its hard to think that $400 (with tax) will only buy you 10 bags of shot! That is going to affect a LOT of shooters.

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I fully and whole heartedly agree with Pat. I'm not sure exactly why but I agree with him and if Neil were to voice his opinion I would agree with him as well unless he disagreed with Pat but then and only then I would abstain from any and all agreeing and say that you should shoot what you are used and what you know will do the job for you and your style of shooting.

10. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

amazing that the cost of this hobby is getting out of hand the way it is (financially) Im not complaining I will keep spending my money cause I enjoy it.. That being said.. if we are practicing with 7/8 or 1oz loads, why arent we shooting them in registered birds too?? and for that matter can you even do it at the grand (where you must buy your shells) Just curious...

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

It is not practical to shoot 7/8 or 1oz loads when practicing and then go to a different load for competition. Confidence in your load, choke performance, shell performance,and perceived recoil (or the ability to recover from recoil) especially on doubles, should be part of your practice regiment. You'll save a couple shells per box of 25 practicing w/ 1oz if you normally shoot 1 1/8oz, and thats only the lead. You still have to buy wads, powder, and primers for 1oz loads. When you look at the cost of gas, entry fees, and options, it is a or additional cost to practice with 1 1/8oz loads.

12. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

My loads for registered and practice are the same, because my practice shooting is registered.Sometimes sad but true. Steve

13. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I shoot 1 oz #8 for all 16 yard shooting. (registered, practice, sporting clays, whatever). When I miss a target, I know that the extra 1/8 oz would have made no difference. I shoot 1 oz because it is comfortable to shoot; the extra $$ savings is just "frosting on the cake". I am friends with a former All American who was employed and shot for Winchester. He uses 1 oz #7 1/2 for everything. (to include 27 yard handicap). He maintains, as long as you feel comfortable with the load and it performs for you; use it. Now, I will admit that I am far from the shooter he is. But again, when I miss it isn't because I didn't have enough shot in the shell. By the way, 1 oz of #8 has more shot in it than 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.