1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PRACTICE SHOOTING VS. COMPETITION SHOOTING!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    a good friend of mine has always said to me, "steve, if you could only shoot in competiton the way you shoot practice" you might do well. over the years, i often peaked just before our state shoot, and when the state shoot came, i went right into the dumper. for instance, i have been out of the hospital for 3 weeks now, i have shoot 300 targets. my scores were, 24, 24, 24, 24,=96. 24,24,24,24,=96, 24, 24, 25, 25,=98. i carry an avg of 92+ in ATA, but i shoot alot better at the practice trap. here is my question, WHY DO MOST PEOPLE SHOOT BETTER IN PRACTICE, RATHER THAN IN COMPETITION? IS THERE A WAY TO CORRECT THIS DROP OFF IN SCORES?
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

2. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

No offense but you are not a "money" shooter then.

If you can't shoot under pressure, you won't ever get as good as you can be Registered wise.

Were you an athlete growing up? The reason I say this is most athletes actually do better in competition because the pressure is on and they have years of expereince playing under pressure situations.

As a athlete, former athlete, I shoot 100% better when there is competition. I relax more which allows me to focus more. I also take it serious. More money, betting, etc... the better I shoot I feel.

Practice shooting for me is no good. I screw areound too much, day dream, talk, watch the people, etc....

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Years ago, I had a friend that would come out and practice, practice and practice.

He got really pretty good. He could run a 24-25 from the 25 yard line anytime he wanted to.

He never shot ATA and at the time, we were giving away Model 12s back in the 70s.

He decided to join and get him one of those new Model 12s.

I tried to warn him that it was a little different shooting 25 birds in practice and then going in and rest for 10-15 minutes and then going back out to shoot again.

Well, come the day of the shoot, he signs up for the ATA and thinks he is really going to win as he always breaks a 24-25 from the 25 and he, being a new shooter, only has to start on the 22 yard line.

Well, my friend goes out and falls right on his face with a whopping big 87. Not a bad score, but no where good enough to win and no where good enough for him because he was used to all of those 24-25s all the time.

He left that day and never came back.

It was really to bad, as he was a very good shooter. He just didn't learn how to handle the added pressure of shooting 100 birds without resting in between traps. Which I'm sure he could have done if he had tried.

Hauxfan!

4. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Most people shoot a little better in a registered than practice. Practice doesn't mean much, all though we think we are trying. If we drop one, so what?
    Registered counts for something, and most people REALLY try to do good. Competition makes you better!

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Free throws in basketball comes to mind. Why would they be called free when your in the eye of the crowd when attempting that shot/shots? You learn how to make those shots with a lot of practice learning from muscle memory is how it works. A shot at a moving clay is also just that, a learned experience. I had to learn how to apply my learned experiences at making every shot count in both games early on. Approaching either situation with a different mind-set can lead to mental mistakes if you don't give it your best shot every time. This little tid bit may come in handy should you have to perform in handicaps all by yourself one day because of yardage differences for a shoot-off. Same with shooting on short squads, it's still just you and one attempt at a time. Trap is easier to be more consistent with than shooting free throws until mother nature interferes on the trapfield.

Hap

6. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

No - best scores have always been when they mattered. I can lose focus during practice. I think registered targets tend to be better thrown than practice birds and this helps too.

Joe

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Mr. Senior Smoke....

I don't think you are experencing anything different than most other people do. I find my practice scores worst than my resistered. but that is because I know my practice don't account for much. In the case of a drop in registered scores vs higher practice, it is simple pressure, pressure the average shooter is not even aware of. I have found the simplest thing that works for me is to shoot one target at a time. I don't think about 25, or 24. If I miss one, I try to have forgotten about it by the time its my next turn to shoot.

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

when i have a good run going, than i suddenly miss a target, i usually miss the very next target too. i seem to settle down then. as a kid i played in alot of sports, i did my best when it actually counted in a game. trapshooting on the other hand is a different story. i love this sport, but i find it frustrating at times. trapshooting is the only sport i have ever particpated in that i am at best, average. i have taken lessons, they have helped some. all i know is when i need to break a good score, i usually can not. one thing i can say, i never give up. maybe, i just don't have the ability, but i am getting better.
    steve

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

senior smoke

thats the right attitude. I am not where I want to be, but keep trying. If we could all break a 100 from the 16's and yaradage, what fun would that be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.