1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Practice shooting,does it help you improve?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Jun 13, 2013.

1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I try to get in some practice shooting most every week. It does not seem to help improve my scores. If I miss a practice target,it does not seem to matter? Am I taking it too lightly?

Clyde

2. alf174

alf174 Member

Best practice for competition is competition. I'd skip the light-hearted practice if you can join a weekly league that will give you a challenge. At least shoot with a group of others for bragging rights. Loser buys a round of soda.

3. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Practice with a purpose is the only way to go. Work on weak areas of your shooting style and firm up your routine and good practices. Also, what alf174 said...my buddy and I shoot for the 'Championship of the World' every practice round. It is friendly competition, but we challenge each other, and it IS competition.

Chris

4. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Hey Clyde, I'm on Doug's computer at work. after watching you shoot last night i don't think you are taking it to lightly.I was listening to every word you said after you got done. You certainly know what you are trying to work on. Keep working on those feet positions, it will help you on posts 1 and 2. hope to see you at the Cardinal. Glenn Allison

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have never shot a practice before an ATA event in the last 40+ years.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I've gotten to the point that I think practice by myself is a waste of time and ammo. I do much, much better if I walk up to the practice traps and find 4 other guns in the rack waiting to start. My ability to focus and the level of concentration go way up.

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

My practice consists of a box/station--this way if you miss---you get at least a second chance to correct your error.

Phil Berkowitz

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Maybe trying to work out a problem, otherwise the level of concentration for me is not there.

9. APrice

APrice Active Member

It's ALL practice! You just pay a lot more when they call it "competition."

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The game is supposed to be about having fun. Shooting "practice' could be called shooting recreationally. And yes it helps your shooting skills. Shooting registered targets and having a victory now and then is really just an ego stroker. Something we all need from time to time but it isn't all there is to be gained from the sport.

So get out there and burn some powder! Bring a pal and shoot for who buys the beverages.

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I'm on a budget so I have to make a choice between shooting a lot of practice or shooting registered competition and I choose the latter but occasionally I shoot a round of practice if I'm trying to work on something.

12. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Shooting 10 practice rounds a week will not help improve your game if you are practicing your mistakes..Without proper gun fit,proper coaching ( someone that really knows what to look for )..

I've seen shooters that shoot more than 10 practice round a week and never get any better...Mostly because they just won't listen...

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The key to improving is perfect practice. You must do everything correctly when practicing. HMB

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Ben Hogan was once asked how to become a champion golfer. He replied, go hit about a million practice golf balls. How about Kim, our 5 time gold medal winner. She only shoots a 1000 rounds a day. Don't let anyone tell you that practice is not worth while. They are full of crap.

15. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Practice is worth while...but if your not doing it right your just wasting lead..

16. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Just like most have mentioned when you practice you have to treat it as if you are shooting for registered targets or a competition. I echo the statement if you are practicing, but doing it with bad habits your chance of improvement are slim at best.

I personally believe the best tool is setting up a video camera and film your shooting. Set the camera up behind you just over your shooting shoulder to see your gun movement to head relationship on post 5 and 1. It will also show if you are moving your gun prior to the target being called. You can then set the camera up on the outside of post 5 to show your body position and movement to the target. You can also get this by setting up the camera behind you, but far enough back to get a full body shot.

Practice is never a waste of time, it all depends how you treat the practice.

Bryan

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Harvey Pinick

Use practice to find out what works, and doesn't

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Practice is essential but you've got to really focus yourself, if you're just banging away out there throwing shot downrange you're only reinforcing bad habits. Practice the GOOD habits!

19. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Personally I.get to a shoot, right away after sign up a box of singles targets and a box of caps targets. If it felt good no more singles. After singles at a minimum of one caps practice. No need on doubles. I am always aiming for HOA. Try throughout the week to shoot at a minimum of fifty each. Mainly focus on caps.

Hell I have Shot 100 practice before a 100 registered caps when big money is involved.

Ink'em my friends,

Brady

20. hera200

hera200 Member

Like 'twodogs' says, practicing proper form and movement is worthwhile but practicing improperly is a waste. "Practicing mistakes just makes you better at making mistakes"!! Hell I ought to know, I am very accomplished at making mistakes....BUD