1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Practice shells and speed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I read a lot on here about shooters practicing with reduced payload shells, but they speed them up. How does one, effectively, practice will shells that have nothing in common with the shells they shoot in competition.

I shoot quite a few reduced payload shells (7/8 and 1 oz) for practice and general shooting, but they run about the same speed as my 1 1/8 oz loads. This way my timing and leads aren't changing from shell to shell.

ss

2. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hey SS: I practice with the same shells except I use an off brand shot like Eagle or Star shot. Their a little cheaper. I save the Lawrence Brand for league shooting. Now I'm still fine tuning a new gun(No, not your BPS) so once I get it shooting exactly where I want I'll drop to 7/8oz. Dave T.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I practice to improve my registered bird shooting. I use the same shells I use in registered shoots. I need to practice more.

Pat Ireland

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Practice shooting targets just using your brain. Close your eyes and visualize shooting a round of trap. Shoot all the different types of angles. Don't miss any, break them all, perfect practice is the key. They say your brain can't tell the difference between this type of practice and the real thing.

This will save you loads of money, range fees, ammo, and wear and tear on your gun. HMB

5. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

HBM, so should I also play with myself while I am at it since that's also easier and kind of the same thing? Just Kidding ;)

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

vpr80,if your mind doesn't know the difference,-------------you "will" go blind........GOOD LUCK

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A very astute observation on your part Shady. HMB

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I shoot 7/8 oz at 16's moving just around 1255 feet per second and 1 oz on handicap moving about the same speed. When I shoot registered, I shoot NEW
    2-3/4 dram equip, 8's or 8.5's on 16's, NEW 3 dram 8's on hanicap. My registered scores are high 90's for 16's and mid 90's for handicap. Little difference in scores, registered vs practice or club shoots. Reloads keep me shooting more, new shells eliminate the worry or mental thing one encounters with reloads. With this practice, I have come to enjoy my shooting much more than when I shot reloads for everything.

For doubles, I shoot my 7/8 oz load for both shots and they work just fine, but I use hulls that have not been loaded more than 3-4 times each and I use major brand components and hard shot.

9. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

I use the same shells for practice and registered. 1 oz. @ 1200 FPS

Jack

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

FlaLagarto- Jerry, you must have slipped momentarily when you made your last post. You are much too wise to believe what you stated.

A perfect shoot is one where you shoot a good score and have a lot of fun. You have already achieved perfection many times.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

good shell speed for trap

is using a high speed shell good for trap shooting