1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Practice Routine?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What does everyone do as their practice routine? Do you just shoot round after round of trap or do you have a routine? I'm stuck at shooting 22s and 23s can't get over this hurdle, (then again I've only been shooting for a week since I took the last 4 months or so off due to the cold).

2. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I always shoot a round just like competition but switching start post every time.

So, I usually will shoot 100 singles and start the first 25 @ post 1, second 25 @ post 2, etc.

Then, if I have time, I do the same at handicap yardage.

3. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

First,and foremost.............do not stop shooting just because it gets cold..........this is a year round sport,and you need to keep shooting no matter what the temp,weather,winds are.....! Relax,I'm just yankin your chain.Focus on the target,wood on wood,and don't count your birds.
    Go get em Rich.............just smoke em all.
    D.P.Reynolds

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Rich, I usually sort them into groups of 5, and then start with the wedge and hit 5 to 10 to loosen up a little. Then one day it'll be the 8,6, and 4 iron and the next time it'll be the 9,7,5,3 iron. Always a few 5 woods off the grass and just 2 or swings with the driver. Oh shoot!! Wrong thread.(LOL)

I try and practice on my weakness', maybe thats why I'm improving slowly.There is a value to having a club where you can take a field and work on something.

5. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

PM your email address, I've collected some routines.

Dave Eberhart

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If you're at 22/23, you've still got your skills... the couple birds indicate a loss of focus.

Work on your "pre-shoot" routine on each shot. Make sure you've got your head the game before you call "pull".

regards,

Jay

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

My limited practice is different. I shoot when nobody else is around. I dump a couple of boxes in my pockets and start shooting 16 yard targets on post one until I feel comfortable, usually 20-30 rounds. Then I move to post five and do the same thing. Then I move back to the 27 and repeat the process. I rarely shoot practice from posts 2,3 and 4.

My biggest problem is shooting practice with the same intensity I need for registered birds. I frequently end up just shooting and not working hard for every target. When I realize that, I know I am wasting my time and I pack things up and go back to work.

Pat Ireland

8. BBMAX

BBMAX TS Member

Good morning Rich -

The question you ask is very good as too many shooters just shoot "holes in the air" time after time learning through repetition. Certain coaches found by doing drills which actually are a bit more challenging then normal competitive shooting they can (1) shorten the process, and (2) refine many of the skills needed for consistent top quality scores. They are not easy or a short cut, but once mastered the whole game changes over time. If you are interested please feel free to email me and I would be happy to forward them to you. I use them when I Instruct shooters and they really work. Have a great 2010 shoot season.

Bruce Maxwell

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

One of the nicest drills I've used is to use wide gun holds at each station, two on the left corner of the house, two on the right corner and one normal hold. Do this at each station. You can get that target no matter where you start, which is a great realization. Believe I got this from Bruce.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I shoot 25 from post three and set the machine so it does not oscilate. I get my rythm that way then I set the trap to oscilate and start on post one and move every 5. I usually s tart out on the 27 as I hate the 16 yd

11. NANK

NANK TS Member

As I am still new to shooting trap, my practice has been to shoot 25 at each station from the 16, then shoot 2 rounds from the 22, that is as far as I have gone. Then I shoot 2 or 3 rounds from the 16 to finish. I have not broken 25 yet, but have been at 22,23,24, never below 20. I just started shooting trap a couple months ago, this routine seems to be helping me. I would love any other suggestions to improve as well.

Ken

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Yes you did Bruce, and it is not only interesting but very helpfull.

13. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Active Member

I use the Kiner method, shoot for smoke and use a couple of extra posts...
    That meaning, shoot left of post 1 and something like post 6, it makes the post 1 & 5 hard angles seem easy. Seems to have helped me, at least a bit. Also, trying to create pressure while practicing. Like its the last house for the hundred, one and done, etc. Hope it helps

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I shoot 1 target at each post from 16, as long as I am clean, I move back two yards. If clean, move back 2 more yards, etc, until I am at the back. If I miss a target at 22 yards I stay there until I run them twice, then move back. It saves time and gets me to handicap faster. Good Luck

15. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Leo said it. Get a squad that is willing to practice with you and shoot 2 shells each position at 16 and move back to 23 and shoot two shells at each position and then move back to 27 and shoot 1 shell each position. Miss and repeat until I get two kills from that position. Some days I don't make it to the 27 with a box of shells but that is my goal!

Shooting just two shells increases the need to focus. Not getting rewarded by being able to get to the 27 is the bait! Holding up the squad mates while you get your two consective kills on the post or being the first one out on the squad is the negative reinforcement.

Regards

Bill

16. JTEA

JTEA Member

As many pros would say "practice with a purpose in mind".

Phil Kiner states the pyramid: Mechanical; Mental; Visual

He also says that if you're stuck consistently dropping targets like that there's a good chance your cross firing with your eyes. If that's not it, you're losing your mental focus.

Also, try some sliders - shoot @ 16, 18, 21, 24, 27 - move to next post and shoot 27, 25, 21, 19, 16. etc.

JT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.