1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Practice Rounds in FL?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ralph1100, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralph1100

Ralph1100 Member

You can get a ticket for 10 rounds of trap at Markham for $58.25. I believe that single rounds are around $7 so the 10 round ticket is better. Wednesday evening is when all 5 fields are running trap (no skeet on Wednesday evening).

CCC Miami used to charge less than Markham during the daytime and more than Markham during evenings and weekends.

You best bet is to call the clubs and ask them.

Keep in mind that these are county run ranges with paid pullers and employees so the prices are higher than at private clubs. Broward county generates about $1M per year on the gun range at Markham.

2. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

WOW..That's alot for a round. What do they do,put the shells in your gun for that price? Here in Pa.it ranges from $2.50 to $3.00 a round.....Nuc

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I know one club in Florida that charges $3.50. I think their may be two others in that price range but I have not shot them. That price is the exception.

Plan on anywhere from $5.50 - $6.50 and over $7 at some clubs (non-member).

If you hit the clubs during shoots you can normally shoot at member price.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The price for a 10 round ticket at Markham is $63. You're buying ten rounds for the price of nine. And to Nukinfuts, I bet you're shooting at a private club with all volunteer help that's only open on a limited schedule. Markham is open 6 days per week.

As Ralph1100 has said the Markham range is run as a business with all the associated costs. That's why it's $7 a round there. Strangely enough the place is always packed on weekends even at $7 a flight. Oh one minor correction to what Ralph posted, the Markham Range grosses around $1,600,000 per year not $1,000,000.

Eric

5. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Port Malabarr on the east coast by Melbourne was really good price-wise. Don't know about trap,but a few years ago,as a guest of my son,I was paying $15 for 100 targets of sporting clays. Members were $10/100. It was a club operation & the members all pitched in that's why things were so cheap. My son ran the registered IPSC pistol shoots there for 3 years. Again,all volunteer labor so costs were at a minimum.

6. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Port Malabar practice rounds are @$4.00.Ask for Dave or for Ed Gazda.Nice club,great people and a nice overall facility including trap,skeet,sporting clays,cowboy shoots,pistol range,machine guns,military style out-door range,camping and so forth.Trap shooting Thursdays @ Noon till??? and Sundays 8:30a.m. or so until??? Come on by and have some fun and enjoy yourself and see the ATA schedule for our registered shoots.

7. Jim e

Jim e TS Member

Polk County Trap and Skeet club at Winter Haven , FL Members 4.00 per 25, non members: daily pass 6.00 and 4.00 per 25 targets. Open Sun, 1-5, Wed., 9-5, Thurs, 5-10pm, Sat., 9-5 all for practice. Phone 8632994853 for info. Trap and skeet each of those days.

8. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

At the Dollar it is 4.00 during Dixie and Southern Grand shoots that is cheaper than the Members price which is 4.50 they charge less during the big shoots gotta like them for that. The have wireless voice releases at the practice traps and they sure are sweet wish they had enough for the whole place.

Buddy

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Guys...

Everything is more expensive in Florida. I was born in Florida and have lived here all my life. When it comes to the clay target sports its especially bad. We are at the end of the supply chain. We pay the same for targets as you do in the midwest but have 2-3 times the freight cost. Our land and insurance cost are also 3-10 times what is in other places. Example is that the old Palm Beach Club was sold for development a few years ago for $40+ million. The Tampa Cigar City Gun Club where I first shot 30 years ago is now a high price office park and its only a matter of time that the Silver Dollar gets sold. There are Million dollar homes on the entrance road now. Property cost and taxes are considerably higher that many places in the rest of the country.

Shooting in Florida is expensive but so is everything else.

TB

10. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Good gosh, by the time I retire, which ain't gonna be for awhile yet, I'm not going to be able to afford to shoot in Florida let alone live there!!

Steve

11. Ralph1100

Ralph1100 Member

Actually Club Cazadores Cubanos doesn't throw practice targets. They only organize club and ATA shoots. They don't run the trap fields. The range is run by Dade County. Look up the phone number for Trailglades Range and call them.

12. duckeye

duckeye TS Member

Looks as if the clubs in Fla are a bunch of money grabbers. I guess the people that go to these clubs are RICH and do not give a damn. Looks as if they are trying to run the average guy out of this game. That is more than a lot of clubs charge for registered targets. Boycott these clubs and make them lower the price if they want to stay in business.

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

When it's a business, you have to pay taxes...and if you want to stay in business, you have to make a profit. Employee wages, employee taxes, employee insurance, general liability insurance, Maintenance, water, sewer, power, etc, etc. Welcome to the real world of running a business. That all goes away, except for power, on a non profit, club located in the country with a well and septic system. Maint. and manpower usually donated.

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

The last I heard from Trail Trap and Skeet (about 6 months old), was that their pratice targets were slightly higher than Markham Parks targets. They used to have something in the middle of the week that was pretty inexpensive (pull your own targets) if you were a member of the club ($50 a year). But I heard that was done away with about 2 years ago. I only shoot ATA targets there, as it is a bit far from me. Palm Beach Trap and Skeet club was even more expensive $8 a pratice round when it was open (non-member) Membership was $600 a year. As said it was sold out about 3 years ago now. They built a few homes on the property and the EPA closed it down to building. The land is now sitting idle until the owners can figure out a cheap way to get the lead out of the soil so they can start building again. Club was there about 25 years. What a waste of a good shooting park. Break-em all. Jeff

15. fred adrio

fred adrio TS Member

At the Port of the Islands gun Club the practuce rounds are $6.00 member and $8.00 non member But Dennis the owner makes a great lunch for $5.00 Something to write home about.

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

So tell me again why clubs charge more for "non-members"?? I come to Fla, or for that matter the club around the corner from me at home and have to get gouged? Yup, I really want to go back there....
    FWIW my home club does not charge any different for members or non members ($2.50) granted it is a members supported club w/o any paid trap help etc. We also have a great S Clays course that is $15 for everyone.
    I am a member of two clubs, but like to move around and practice at different places and have lots of friends at other clubs.....

17. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

What's so hard to understand about why clubs charge more for non-members than for members?

The club (and its members) take all of the risk (equipment, insurance, maintenance, taxes, etc), so why should a non-member expect to pay the same amount of money yet not have to take any of the risk. In fact, why would anyone become a member of anything if you could get the exact same treatment for the same money and not have to pay annual dues and/or fulfill other club requirements (such as volunteer hours)?

This isn't specific to trapshooting either. Should I be able to walk into the local health club and utilize their resources without being a member, at the same price as the member pays? How about the local country club - avoid the $1000 per month dues and just play each Sunday for the cart fee. How about someone who isn't a member of the NRA getting paid for a stolen gun claim on the NRA insurance?

Scott

18. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Scott has it right to the point , we club members work to keep the club open , so that non members can shoot for the same price and not do a damn thing ?? How does anyone think this way ?? I`m thinking of raising the non members rates another $1 to $5 so that they do become members to save money at our $3 per round members rate . Work for the club and save money !! Sounds good to me -- been doing this for 25 years , why can`t the rest do it . We try not to pay out any money as a hands on club with less than 20 members .

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Buddy- You forgot to add that at Silver Dollar, you can shoot registered targets every day for $17.00 per hundred or practice for $18/100. That makes one decision very easy for me.

Pat Ireland

20. Cray

Cray Member

Pat Ireland: How did you shoot at the Dixie Grand? How was the weather? Cray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.