1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Practice Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by phirel, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Good practice will help shooting. But, I sometimes have a problem with my limited practice. If I do not maintain the same level of desire during practice as I have in a registered shoot, the practice does me little good. I have difficulty doing this. Just going out and shooting some targets without a goal does me little good.

I have also seen many shooters practicing bad shooting techniques. In this situation, practice can hurt ones shooting.

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I think it was BJ McDaniels' Break Em All book where i read to practice with a specific goal, one thing to work on.

Dave Eberhart

3. philk

philk Member

Pat, the problem I have is I practice for Reg. shoots. This year there is very little funds for shoots every weekend. So if I don`t go to shoots every weekend practice seems to be pointless. Still I`d like to stay tuned up and improve but need to figure out a way or goals to make practice seem worthwhile.

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Pat: I also have a rough time shooting practice rounds. I just can't get into concentrating if I'm shooting practice. It's like golf. If one goes to the range and starts hitting a bucket of balls; about 1/2 way through the bucket, one just wants to "empty the bucket" and leave. Although last Saturday, I had a goal in mind and practice was somewhat meaningful. I just had a Rad installed and have been experimenting with the adjustments. I finally got it to where I am satisfied. So I did enjoy practice that day. Ed

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The other problem is finding a squad of 3 or 4 shooters that also have a Goal . Most shooters shoot practice to have fun a day at the range and little more .

I try to get to the club early pick a trap to my self and practice . Because later when the other shooters come it harder to have a good practice .

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Practice has always been a problem just as described by Pat and esoxhunter. This has been true through PPC, IPSC, IDPA shooting with the handguns and just the same with the shotgun. I've always said that shooting in real and serious competition was the best practice for me. I've never found a fix for this dilemma.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If any shooting is thought of as boring, the results will also be boring for you!

If there's a secret to good practice, it has to be in wanting that next target or 10 ring! Whether that be in competition or practice, we must learn how to gear ourselves up for the challenge of the next shot! Makes a drastic difference when it comes game time too!

Hap

8. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

The goal is always the same,to shoot better. "Good practice" is hard work, I belive that one technic is to establish practice goals before going to the range. All the basices of shooting ie: position, mount,vision and movement should be given with a great deal of thought. If after a life time you can run a few 100 straight's you will have accomplished your goal that is to shoot at your heights level.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Perfect practice is the key. Shoot a 25 straight and go home. HMB

10. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I have read on this sight many, many ,many times that even when competing you are really shooting against yourtself. If that is so and not just BS why wouldn't you be shooting practice as earnestly and focused as you shoot competition? JRM

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I've always thought of practice as an opportunity to try new things. A new hold point, look for the bird, exc. I'm not expecting 25 straights in practice, but, I want to see if something works better or worse.

Jim

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

A short story about a top shooter and his practice. The registered event was not fun due to rain. After the event, I saw Kay O. at the practice trap shooting during the heavy rain. Later, I asked him what he was doing out is such miserable conditions. He replied "I don't get a chance to practice very much during rain storms". This is one reason Kay is very good and I am not.

Pat Ireland

13. philk

philk Member

To quote Kay "I win on days like this". Well maybe not an exact quote but it was to that effect.

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

When I was in rifle competition, I kept a score book to record all my matches and poured over the data to try to find weak areas I could improve with training. I started to keep a score book for practice as well. analyzing the practice book taught me to shoot practice as serious as any match at the national championships. A small notebook may be enough pressure to help you keep your head in the game even during practice. Good Luck

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have found that when I practice, I ALWAYS try to shoot for something. Bet your squadmates a coke, lunch, or whatever, and the loser has to buy. It can be something as little as a token for a round of trap to the winner, etc. This way, you are always competing! Works wonders for your practice days.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

16. Mapper

Mapper Member

Competing with ones self always leads to losing. Compete with someone else and someone wins. It might not always be you, but sometimes it probably will be. When I was a real shooter, I always tried to beat someone. Maybe bet a dollar or a cup of coffee, get some incentive, even if your opponent is unaware of it. I was never great, but I was better than now, when I just bang away.

17. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Been shooting trap 18 months, and compared to the rest of my local crowd, they say I'm young cause I have hair...LOL!

During this time, my top scores were in the pouring rain, in volatile high wind storm preceding another storm, and when snowing heavily. In both cases, my ability to concentrate made a difference. As such, when the weather is not cooperating and when there are new commers (not the dangerous kind), I make it a point to shoot figuring that dealing with the distractions will help me in the long run. When I practice, its usually by myself because it would disrupt the squad or my buds will think I'm crazy since my practice involves some, all or a combination of the following:

-- Sometimes I hold the focal point for 5 or 10 seconds before I call for the bird (holding for 10 seconds is tough!)

-- I shoot at the first glimpse of the bird

-- I hold fire until the bird starts to drop

-- I trace the bits till they hit the ground, then I reset

-- when I miss, I close my eyes and visualize where the bird was, where I shot, and the path of the bird

-- If I dont like the spatter, i do the visualization

-- I comment on whatever I did wrong (or well) and I do this out load

-- After some shots, I use my hands and arms to trace the flight, my swing and the shot

-- I will take one shot at each station and move quickly to the next till I do 25, sometimes I run it to 50

-- I mix 16s, my handicap and hdcp +2 pyramiding up and down

Has it helped me? I dont know but it makes me feel I am working it, and that may be the most important part....

18. quartering

quartering Active Member

my practice usually involves a quick couple of hours to spare, a dirty gun, four flats of reloads, a box of davidoff's and a cooler of twickinham's. i wish i could practice like this for a living. however, and regardless of mine, your best practice will be achieved through competition. good luck with it

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

First rule in anything you want to do should be, enjoy what your doing. Second rule is give it 100%. If we remember those things we should do well in pracitice or in competiton.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bruce- Your second rule, give it 100%, is nearly impossible for most of us. Giving 100% is not fun, it is work. Hard work and it begins a few days before the shoot. In an event I can give 100% for about 60% of the targets. I hit another 35% from reflexes while I am thinking about work, where to eat dinner, etc. I then hope on luck for the remaining 5%. Sometimes I am lucky, sometimes not.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.