1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Practice from longer than assigned yardage?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slide action, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Thoughts on practicing from longer than assigned ATA yardage? I have known one or two people who do this but I'm not sure if it helps or not. The theory is shooting harder targets will improve your handicap scores in registered events. I know it does "seem" that my handicap scores in registered shooting are a couple of birds better after shooting protections and Annies(not great but a little better). On the other side of the coin my scores in handicap almost always seem to drop off some after shooting 16 yard events. I have heard some shooters practice longer yardage on a regular basis. Just wondering in the practice is sound?

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The ATA hasn't yet mandated any yardage past the 27yd. line. I'm caught in a warp and can't get out!!

3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

For what its' worth...I practice one yard back, and often shoot 2 or 3 yards back in league. I'm a 24 yard kind of guy, and league has us at the 26 or 27 sometimes.

I seem to shoot about the same scores from 24 back.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would practice with the same equipment and at the same yardage I shoot in ATA events. If someone is stuck on the 24 yard line, they should be practicing on 24 yard targets. I am stuck on the 27 yard line and don't have any intention of practicing further back until I get the 27 figured out.

Pat Ireland

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I always practice 1 yard beyond my yardage.....soon, I'll be practicing at the 7-11 parking lot.

Tron

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Once you reach the 27 you should practice from the 20 to feel better about yourself.

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Brilliant Brooks-but they'll never understand!!

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

straighshooter1, who are the others you refference above as giving same advice??

9. John E

John E Member

On Phil Kiners 1st. video he says practice at plus one yard so I do.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I am assigned the 25, but generally shoot "fun caps" with my shooting buds at 27. We are too lazy to keep changing the speakers around. Last week, with a new gun, my FULL Angleport choke, and one ounce loads, I shot a 98 off the 27.

I bought that gun because it fit me, and the wood was stone cold beautiful. The good score was a real confidence builder with the gun on its shakedown cruise. Four shots off the bench at 13 yards to see where it shoots (exactly where I want it to), and off to the Trap field.

This does seem to make the 25's easier, but that might be my optimistic personality! LOL

11. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Back in the day,,,I made much money shooting poll at bars for money,,,,6 1/2 or 6 foot table,,,,before going out,,,it was down to the fire house,,,,BIG table 8 ft I think,,,,,2 hrs practice there ,,,and shooting the bar tables was like taking candy from babys,,,,same idea as shooting longer yardage,,,just dont go to extremes,,,,altho I do shoot my registerd caps from the back of the box ,, not the front

12. canada

canada Member

my opinion, practice from your assigned yardage, maybe a yard back. any further and its different. first off it will be harder, and unless you are shooting it well, it can ruin your confidence. once your confidence goes down, you try to do other things, develop bad habits, and those bad habits carry on not just to your regular yardage, but singles too.

personally, i like to get singles to where i can comfortably shoot them before i even consider handicap, because any bad habits from singles are just amplified in handicap and the results aren't pretty. i think shooting uncomfortably from a different yardage results in the same thing.

pat lamont

13. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I've watched Kay Ohye and his daughter at the practice trap shooting much shorter than their assigned yardage. I'm not sure of the theory behind that (building confidence?) but it seems to work rather well for them.

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Seems I remember an article in T & F last winter by P Kiner if memory serves?, suggesting if you're having trouble at your assigned yardage, move ahead to practice. I do see the logic in that, doesn't do you much good to stand back there banging away missing half your targets and don't have the foggiest idea WHY??

Where I shoot practice mostly there're not so many shooting members and we're hncp'ed at all different yardages from short to long so when we practice handicap we generally all shoot together, a few rounds from short, some from mid & finish up with a few rounds from long. Sometimes the short yarders might drop out when we go to long, sometimes not. I'm punched at 23 but if the wind ain't blowin' too bad I can usually hold my own with the long yarders.

John C. Saubak

15. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

This question came up in a clinic I attended last year. The instructor said that frequently when he is practicing handicaps sometimes he would shoot from the 24 yard line. The angles are slightly more accute the closer you move toward the house. His name was Harlan.

16. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I'm with M R Ducks - since I have to shoot penalty yardage this year, I've been practicing there. I've noticed my singles have also improved. Interesting.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

We used to shoot sliders so you get to shoot from all yardages and from all of the angles ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

I stand FIRM in the belief that you'll never learn to shoot from the 27 unless you practice from there--the angles are less and it's easier to shoot over the top of long ydg birds--if you are an aimer/tracker you may benefit from short ydg. practice,but it won't cut it from the 27.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.