1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Practice farther back??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

Okay, another question from relatively new trap shooter.
    I feel I'm starting to get the hang of this trap shooting thing. Considering even joining ATA and shooting at local registered shoots.

Now a question about practicing. Obviously I would be shooting from the 16yd line. Would I be any better off practicing from say the 18 or 19 yd line? Would a 16yd target then seem closer and easier to get on or am I just kidding myself?

Any thoughts?
    Chuck

2. Old Ranger

Old Ranger Member

Practice from the same distance you intend to shoot. For 16's, practice from the 16. If you are going to shoot handicaps, practice from the 20. that's where you'll be put to start. Bird angles and leads are slightly different from each line, and practicing from the 20 for 16's will give you the wrong pictures.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Chuck.... If you start shooting registered ATA targets you will shoot the "singles" from the 16 yard line all the time. You will start shooting your "handicap" from the 20 yard line, eventuallly moving your way back as you get better. I have always practiced my handicap from the yardage I was assigned to. I always want to shoot from the same place I stand in competition. This allows me to always see the same target presentation, shoot the same leads, and get totally comfortable shooting from that yardage. While some may disagree, I think it is to your disavantage to do any serious practicing from longer yardages as each additional yard can give you a different challange...... Just my opinion....Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

If you want to practice, practice. Practice does not mean shooting a few rounds. Set the trap on the left hard angle. Shoot at least 50 from post 1. Then move through the posts for another 50. Then set the trap on straightaways from 3. Repeat and repeat again for hard rights. If you have not had a qualified instructor get one soon. Establish a good stance, shot routine and calm demeanor.

I am amazed at the number of trapshooters who disdain practice. If Tiger Woods needs to practice, we need to practice.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Learn to shoot singles till your ability is established there, then try handicaps. Done like that, learning to shoot handicaps will come easier. Master the basics of shooting up close, that will carry over to longer shots later. Hap

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

But Hap, if I followed your advice I would never get to shoot handicap. Well, you might be right and I should stick with singles.

Pat Ireland

7. grammie

grammie TS Member

Hap Mec Tweaks hit it right on the button!!!!

"Singles" IS trapshooting!!!!!

Most that cannot compete always say "its too boring",,,,they say that because they cannot hold their own mind in check for the duration of 200 targets!!!!

Singles is an exercise of the mind!!!! And it should be taken as a long but competitive game of chess!!! Because thats what it is!!!!

There is no reason to miss one,,single 16 yd target!!!! Not one!!! Not wind,,nor rain either,,,it is the "brain" that misses!!! It is the brain that cannot catch the angles,,,it is the brain that shoots under the easy straight-a-ways!!!!

It is not all talent that breaks 100 straight 16yd singles,,,,it is not all talent that breaks 200 straight,,,,but it is the ability to remain focused,,in the now,,on top,,that gets the job done...

Master singles first,,,,and the rest comes easy!!!!!

Theres only one way,,,,,about 2,000 targets within a 3 week period goes a long way to aide your hand and eye coordination,,,and your timing will be "snapping fast"!!!!!

AKA Grammie.............

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

,,,,"""""!!!!!!.....,,,,, Grammie, it's ok to hit the key once.......

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

AKA Grammie- I must disagree with your comment "its your brain" that missed singles targets. My brain is not nearly large enough to have missed all of the singles targets I have missed.

I have shot around 350,000 registered targets with an overall all average of singles/handicap/doubles of about 90%. That means I have missed more targets than many on this site have shot.

Pat Ireland

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Pat,

Don't you feel sorry for the pullers having to yell "Lost" 35,000 times?

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

JBrooks- No I do not. I feel sorry for me.

Pat Ireland

12. grammie

grammie TS Member

Pat:

Perhaps the problem lies on the "other" end of the spectrum,,,,and your brain is actually too small??????????? Thats a joke now!!!!

I once entered the spring grand rated AAA on a few thousand targets!!!! But my brain either shrunk or grew,,,because I sure didn't perform to my average...

I was the same shooter as the day before,,,and the same as the month before,,but not that day!!! I was sharp,,right on top,,and what I whiffed were the ones that are a given,,,the great big slow moving straight-a-ways!!!!

AKA Grammie........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.