1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Practice at Registered Shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenns, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenns

glenns Member

I was at a ATA shoot this weekend and noticed that less than 10 shooters shot a warm up before the shoot started (about 60-70 shooters present).

Seems to me that you should shoot 25 to get into the rhythm of shooting, gauging the wind, etc.

Just curious why you don't shoot a warm up?

2. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Because you usually run the practice round, then miss on your first trap of the event.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Some trap shooters have very small brains and are easily confused. HMB

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

I'm usually not interested in taking the time to shoot 25 and try to find someone to pay. I would like to walk to the practice trap and take one target from each post just before my squad takes the line. It would be handy if the club would add a buck to the shoot fee and let you take 5 targets just to kick start the day.

5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

The good shooters shoot practice rounds, and all of the instructors I know of, recommend it.

best...mike

6. missed some

missed some TS Member

where are all the good shooters practicing at?

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Oh those are practice rounds? I wondered why my registered shoots were so short and cheap and then they never appear on my ATA stats. Hmmmmm learn something new every day. Truth is my wife will only give me 101 shells for a shoot. If i need more than 1 shell extra i have to drop out.

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Unless the practice trap has the same back ground and terrain as the traps you're going to shoot on---they won't mean a thing. Like @ the Silver Dollar--practice on one side & shoot on the other side.

Phil Berkowitz

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

David Kelly who has shot 10 grand slams and 62 100 straight in doubles says, (Always shoot a warm up practice before each event)...............

Surfer

10. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

At Elysburg they go down to the practice traps at Valley, and I've gotten a few free lessons, watching Don Neilson and Kay, among others, going through their routine(s). Those folks didn't become champions by watching tapes and reading Mr. Wilson's Trapshooting Secrets....grin

11. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

635G

For the big shoots at the Dollar, the practice traps are where the skeet fields are located. In the Dixie and Southern Grands, banks are drawn each evening, so no one knows which bank they will be shooting on or which "side" they will shoot on till then.

For the State shoot, you can pick the bank and side you want to shoot on.

When the practice traps are on the skeet fields, you are facing east and looking into the sun so, regardless of which "side" you are shooting on, the targets will look different than they look on the practice traps.

For all other shoots, the practice trap in on the Gun Club side, and you only shoot on that side.

Bob

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanx Bob--

Phil--I now live in Fl will try & get to the $$$ more often this winter

13. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Phil:

I sent you a PM about the Dollar shoots.

Bob

14. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

Tumbleweed, I love your idea. I don't want 25 shots, just one at each post to dust off the nerves and cobwebs.

15. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I think it is personal preference. Just because the "Big Dogs" do it doesn't necessarily mean it is best for you. Personally I don't shoot practice.

Bryan

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I found a full round of practice invariably did nothing to improve scores. I many times would join another or two others and share a round getting 5 to 10 shots for myself just to get the head and gun working together - to remind the head why I'm out there with a gun in my hands....breakemall

17. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I like the way they do it in Tucson for the Spring Grand. You pay two bucks at the practice field for 10 rounds. Two at each post. Good warm up, for me 25 is too many. In the case of paying for 25 I will do two sessions at different times. Rich

18. missed some

missed some TS Member

guess i missed all the big dogs shooting practice, i will ask again, where do they shoot ??

19. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Split a practice round with 2 or 3 shooters. That's enough practice to remove the cobwebs and get the juices flowing, IMO....Cya

20. Jacob Guthrie

Jacob Guthrie Member

Quality not quantity. It doesn't matter how many practice you shoot just go shoot a warm up so your eyes and muscles are ready for the event. Missed one what are you asking? The earlier posts were saying the better shooters almost always shoot a warm up before their event no matter where they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.