1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Practice - 16 or 20 yd line ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Hi,
    I am new to the sport at age 49 (2 months shooting now)... and joined the ATA. Really love the sport so far. I usually get about 21-24 birds/round from 16 ... but my first 2 attempts at 20 yds only got me about 16-18 birds. Understand I will shoot at 20 yd line at an ATA handicap shoot. My question is ... should I practice just 20 yard shooting ? If I improve at 20 yds... will it also improve my 16 yd shooting ? Or should I practice the same amount at both distances ? Thanks !

2. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

By the time your first registered event comes around and you dont have enough cap targets you will shoot from the 22 at least. Right now concentrate on shooting at 16 and 20. Make sure you have your targets and you should be fine. Don't forget to shoot some doubles also. Lots of fun. Good luck and nice to have you involved. Chuck Hrosik

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

"By the time your first registered event comes around and you dont (sic) have enough cap targets you will shoot from the 22 at least."

That's only true if your first registered shoot imposes penalty yardage. Which will have to be stated in the shoot program. Otherwise, assuming you are an adult male, you will shoot handicap at the 20 yard line.

So, practice from both yardages. And throw in some doubles practice too.

Enjoy

4. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I’m a new shooter also (53 years-old) and you’ll start on the 20-yard line.. Practice more singles than handicap. Also learn the basics of doubles, Great fun!
    My first event I shot a 92 in singles, 89 in handicap, and 68 in doubles. Second shoot I shot 97 in singles, 98 in handicap and 89 in doubles after a month of practice. Third shoot I was at the 21-yard line and moved to an “A” and lost with 98’s in singles and handicap. But I did win doubles due to being moved down to a “C”..The first event will be a learning experience, have fun and don’t worry about the scores. Have a GREAT shoot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.