1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Power steering pump $$$$

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

1993 Ford Crown Vic with low miles so worth repairing. Shop fixed two hoses that were leaking ( not badly) Next day after picking up it developed a bad leak, took it back and am being told the pump needs replaced ( most likely the seal was ready to go but lines were not holding pressure and now they are so it went) They want $418 to put a rebuilt pump on?? Does this sound reasonable and feasable to you auto techs?? Tron are you out there??

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Sounds like the typical car repair scam where your car suddenly develops a problem after you bring it back from the shop. Of course, they tell you it was
    just a co-incidence. They're not going to tell you they sabatoged your
    car so they could extract some more money from you.

Find another car repair place.

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Power steering pump leaks from that type of pump (Eaton "C-3") are very rare....but, I have seen them (but, hey, this car is 15 years old). The gearbox sector shaft is way more common (I've overhauld a jillion of those). $418 may be SLIGHTLY on the high side, but not that unreasonable. It's not a real difficult pump to replace, but you will need a special pully puller and press.

Let me know if you need any help with it.

4. cubancigar2000

Thx Tron, thats what I needed.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Unless it's made of gold, it's a bit high for just the pump. Rebuilt units arent that expensive. New pumps can be, but a rebuilt should serve well. They are not that hard to take apart and reseal.

6. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

If this is the type of pump that has the plastic reservoir, it is possible the tech may have cracked the reservoir, or the hose nipple, when replacing the lines. If you are certain the leak is from the front seal, then this is not the case.

Also there are multiple seals and o-rings on a pump that can be replaced without a complete pump replacement.

Just some advice

Danny

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You can not buy a seal kit for a C-3 pump and it has a remote reservoir located on the left side of the engine compartment.

8. cubancigar2000

Tron is right. I checked and seals could not be purchased. Yhe only option was used or rebuilt. I chose rebuild because the car only has 70,000 miles and is a real solid car. The bill was $418 which included a new high pressure hose. Thx to all for the comments

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.