1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Poweder Scale, Digital.......Accurate only $10.99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by turbobike, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbobike

turbobike Member

Damn thing works like a Charm, doudle checked the accuracy with cerified Jewler
    weights...dead on accurate. Only 10.99 at Harbor Freight retail stores. 25% sale Jan 1st, only costs $8.25+ tax.

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have one of these. Just too cheap to pass up. It does work quite well. I have used it to check loaded shells. It recovers (stabilizes) very quickly.

The next time I am weighing powder charges with my PACT digital scale I will run a comparison test.

Jim Skeel

3. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

If the truth were known all the digital scales come out of the same factory in China.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

They must be good ones; I've taken one back already because it quit after being used for 15 minutes.

MK

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

It appears the scale is accurate to .1 gram (based on the printing on the front of the scale). .1 gram converts to 1.54 grains. That doesn't seem accurate enough to use for weighing powder for reloading?

Scott

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

But if you have a set of standard weights like I do you can accurately set it without problems.

Tom

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

the link says it weighs in grams, grains, pennyweights, etc.

I'll chug on over to the store and check it out.

HM

8. turbobike

turbobike Member

Damn thing works like a Charm, doudle checked the accuracy with cerified Jewler
    weights...dead on accurate. Only 10.99 at Harbor Freight retail stores. 25% sale Jan 1st, only costs $8.25+ tax.

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have one of these. Just too cheap to pass up. It does work quite well. I have used it to check loaded shells. It recovers (stabilizes) very quickly.

The next time I am weighing powder charges with my PACT digital scale I will run a comparison test.

Jim Skeel

10. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

If the truth were known all the digital scales come out of the same factory in China.

11. Unknown1

They must be good ones; I've taken one back already because it quit after being used for 15 minutes.

MK

12. scott calhoun

It appears the scale is accurate to .1 gram (based on the printing on the front of the scale). .1 gram converts to 1.54 grains. That doesn't seem accurate enough to use for weighing powder for reloading?

Scott

13. Baber

Baber TS Member

But if you have a set of standard weights like I do you can accurately set it without problems.

Tom

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

the link says it weighs in grams, grains, pennyweights, etc.

I'll chug on over to the store and check it out.

HM

15. scott calhoun

Tom -

I'm confused. What would you set that would display weight in some measurement smaller than .1 gram (1.54 grains).

Scott

16. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

If anyone does a comparison weighing in grains, let me know.
    I might have to go pick one up.

17. flchevelleman

flchevelleman TS Member

Bought one today it only shows 18 grains or 20??? I need 19.3 ?? tried putting a pinch in /pinch out ? recalibrate, dump out/ put powder back in?? A MEC 33 bushing on red dot should be 19.7. This scale set to .000 shows 16 grains, MULTIPLE times I am going to check with a high doller scale tonight before i change the bushing.!!! More questions now than i had before I bought it!
    CONFUSED Tim

18. scott calhoun

Tim -

No reason to be confused. If it only weighs GRAMS in .01 GRAM increments, that translates to an accuracy of 1.54 GRAINS.

A guy at our club bought a similar scale a while ago thinking he got a deal, then found out it wasn't useful for weighing powder because it doesn't weigh in small enough increments.

Scott

19. Unknown1

The thing HAS to weigh in rather large increments; it weighs to 1000 grams which is something like 15432 grains. If you weigh powder you will use only about 1/10th of one percent of the scale's capacity. There's no way a $10 scale can be manufactured to be accurate over a range like that unless it reads out only in coarse increments.

Mk

20. scott calhoun

15432 grains is just over 2 pounds. (7000 grains in a pound).

Most scales suitable for weighing powder will only weigh up to 750 or 1500 grains (1/10th or 2/10th's of a pound) and will do so with an accuracy of .1 or .2 grains.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.