1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powders

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fenoc, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenoc

fenoc Member

I am looking for a soft, clean burning powder i can use for both 1oz and 1 1/8 loads of 1150, 1200, and 1235 fps. I use Remington wads, hulls and federal/ Remington primers. I currently use Winchester super target powder and it is very dirty. Any suggestions you guys have would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
    Ian Darroch

2. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

PB is the cleanest and best powder I have found!

Bill

3. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

PB does it all like Bill said. It is more expensive but to me it is worth it.

Dave

4. Alliant Reloading

Alliant Reloading TS Member

Ian,

From our line of American made powders, I think American Select(R) would be your best bet.

Shot well,

Paul

Please be aware that I am an employee of ATK Commercial Products, and the views expressed in my posts are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of ATK.

5. fenoc

fenoc Member

Paul,

What number bushings would you use in a P-W loader for an 1145 fps 1 1/8 and a 1200 fps 1 1/8?

Ian

6. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Paul I will agree with you. When you couldn't buy PB I shot a lot of AS. I tried it in a lot of different hulls but it works better for me in federal hulls than any other hulls and I tryed it in every thing but got the best results in federal hulls.

Dave

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I quit PB years ago only because I could not get it. started using 7625 and never thought about going back. yes it is expensive but I dont care

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as "soft" shooting powder. Only light loads. Red Dot is all you need. Clean enough and cheap.

9. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

lan it depends on what hull you load. There are different loads for different hulls to get 1145 fps. Google Alliant Reloading and you will find the amount of powder for your hulls.

Dave

10. Alliant Reloading

Alliant Reloading TS Member

Ian,

Rather than discuss loads in generalities, please go to our website for additional information. You can get load data using the following address: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx
    We have bushing charts that you can view at the following addres: http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/powder_bushing_chart.aspx
    Please be aware that the bushing information is just a starting point, and you will have to test American select out on your machine, weighing the charges with a scale. I believe the last time I loaded 21.0gr of American Select I used a "M" bushing, but that was on an RCBS Grand.

If you need additional information, please contact Ben at 800/276-9337. (I believe he is off today though.)

Shoot well,

Paul

Please be aware that I am an employee of ATK Commercial Products, and the views expressed in my posts are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of ATK.

11. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Johnny did you ever shoot PB or 7625 ?

Dave

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

bird30 , do you believe in magic?

No matter how many times this subject is discussed on this site, at the end of the day people still hold onto their ridiculous beliefs.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

WST is a very good powder. The stuff left in your barrel while shooting WST acts as barrel protector from the wear and tear caused by the shot and wad traveling down the barrel. Just a little cleaning after you finnish shooting and your barrel will look like new. HMB

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Try Hogdgon International Clays...very comparable to PB or Green Dot, far cleaner, and cheaper. Regards, Ed

15. kene

kene TS Member

I'm liking E3 -- have been using Clays but tried a pound of E3 and am about ready to switch as soon as finish the Clays that I have.

16. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

johnny no I do not believe in magic but I do believe in the way my shoulder feels after shooting 500 targets in a day. You didn't answer my question. You shoot what you want too and I will shoot what I want too. I am not going to argue with you. It is very simple, load 5 shells to the max with 700x and 5 shells to the max with PB. Same primer, same wad, same hull and tell me one don't kick harder than the other.

Dave

17. A201

A201 TS Member

Personaly I shoot Aliant powders and am totally happy with clay dot green dot and pro reach. That being said 7625 is flexible enough for all your needs and is without any doubt (naysayers notwithstanding most seem like Obama cabinet members and are elitists) (know more lhan us common uneducated shooters) the softest recoiling powder you will ever load. Roger

18. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

19. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

PB is a great powder but the price and availability unless we are not at war is a problem, the Military likes it too. I like International Clays as well but it's not cheap either and when my wife started shooting I went back to Green Dot, I have about 4 lbs left and just ordered a keg of Clay Dot, my wife does very well with a 1oz 1250 fps load.

20. bigben

bigben Active Member

Dave, bird 30, right on, some of the posters here will load a 29 bushing Red Dot load and do NOT have a clue , should they get a good chrono, and load to the same fps, only then will they believe. incinerate em!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.