1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powders mixed by accident

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I had a almost full 8 lb keg of Red Dot. I was loading Herco and when I got the powder tube on the loader to almost empty, I drained it into the Red Dot by mistake. The amount of Herco added to the 8 lb can of Red Dot was barely enough to make two shells ( approx 40 grains of Herco?? Would you waste the 8 lb keg or shake it up and not worry about it??

2. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

40 grains mixed with almost 56,000 grains? I wouldn't worry about it. Just shake it up good and don't mistakenly use Herco data with THIS powder.
    .....Rick

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Yeah-----I agree, with that ratio I wouldn't worry about it either. Just shake it up good and call it all "Red Dot"

John C. Saubak

4. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Oh this is a major problem..... VERY DANGEROUS!

Please send the 8lb jug to my residence so I can properly destroy that Red Dot.

Send me a PM and I will give you my address and I will even cover the cost of shipping!

This powder must be properly destroyed....... :)

SW

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shoot it without any concern.

Pat Ireland

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

CC, this comes up every now and then.

I loaded standard loads of Clays and Green Dot and tested their speed and pressure.

Then I mixed equal parts of Green Dot and Clays and loaded them as I would Green Dot.

The result was _not_ half way between them, nor anything scary. It acted about like the slower powder with a little boost, though by weight, the boost was 50%.

[​IMG]

My advice? Shoot it.

Neil

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Take a Herco match and light the Herco powder and burn it off............

NO! WAIT! STOP!

I was only kidding. Shake it up and shoot it, you won't hurt a thing.

Hauxfan!

8. cubancigar2000

Thx everyone. I feel better now. I still feel stupid but I think it will be ok to use it.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

cc, I did that test after I confessed here that when I change powder I just use up the best part of one bottle, pour in the next over what's left, tip the bottles some and carry on. What you've done is more conservative than that; you'll have no trouble.

Neil

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Herco burns slower than Red Dot so any effect would be a safe one (Less pressure for any given charge). The amount you mixed would have little or no effect unless somehow all of the Herco ended up in "two" shells. Even then I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

You might want to keep Bullseye away from your shotshell reloading bench though.

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Been there and done that. Nitro 100 and Solo. Called the guy from their powder company who gave me a case of the small bottles that I stupidly mised together to get a keg.

He said they were of different base materials and that I should not use them.

Whiz

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

13. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Been there, done that.................Roger

14. cubancigar2000

Let's just call this batch "RedHerco" I am just thankful I used most of the powder in the tube before I drained it into the Red Dot

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Just to be sure, make sure you mix a couple of ounces of 7 1/2's in with a bag of 8's before you load them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.