1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powders and Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chichay, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Left in their original containers and assuming they're stored properly, how long before they deteriorate?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Alliant has a batch of Unique made in 1898. From time to time they get out a pinch and test it. Still good.

Answer? Nobody knows. 100 year old ammo, if stored halfway right, will still fire.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Cool, dry place away from direct sunlight, they have no known shelf life. There's still ammo out there from the late 1800 that'll work as well as the day it was made.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Chichay--It's best if you send it all to me and i'll do some extensive testing on all of it over the next year or so. I will then send you a nicely printed report on how it all stored and performed. I do this service free of charge. All you need to do is get me the goods. How can you beat that deal? :)

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I'll best grntitan, I'll even pay you back for the shipping, after I receive the primers and powder. Break-em all Jeff

6. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I've got primers from the 1970's or so that still work just fine. I have not tried the powder from then, yet.

7. notarget

notarget TS Member

I am still using Bullseye made in the Hercules Kenvil plant in 1964 with CCI pistol primers bought in 1968. Never had a problem with these components.

8. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I still have a little bit of HS-5 from WW2 that works great. And primers I bought at a local shop that Have Cascade Cartridge Incorporated intead of CCI on them. Work great.

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I still have a batch of Alcan 209 primers from about 1975 & I still have a couple of loads that use them. Don't shoot many of those porch loads anylonger, I guess they'll last a little longer.

Big Jack

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Big Jack--I have 200 of the unused Alcan primers myself as well as a decent stash of Alcan Paper Hulls. I've never loaded either.

11. setool

setool Member

I have a one gallon "plastic" jug nearly full of Herco from the early 70's.

I wonder if it is still good, since I opened it from the paper bags it came in (that was how my local guy sold it back then, from bulk), and put it in this jug. Wonder if it;s worth messin' with ???

Mark S.

12. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I used a cardboard container of Herco from the late 60's that had been stored in my garage all these years. No problem. I tested it first by putting a match to a small amount. The burn was slow and even.

13. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Was alway told if it smelled like ammonia , it was not good otherwise use it . Try loading a box first and see how you like it .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.