1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686

686 TS Member

i have been using gd for my 12 ga. find it good for 7/8-1- and 1 1/8 loads at different loads. i have about 1500 rds loaded and am out of powder. i am thinking about some other powder. is there another powder that is as versitable as gd? is there a lighter recoil cleaner burning as gc? any help thanks charles

2. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Does gd mean green dot? Also, Im not sure what gc stands for. I would suggest clays...as I am sure many here will too.

Forrest

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is difficult to go wrong with Green Dot or Red Dot.

Pat Ireland

4. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

PROMO!

5. oletymer

oletymer Member

Promo is a great powder but is hardly clean burning. I use it but I only shoot break action guns. Karl

6. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

I alternate with GD and Clays. It just seems that all powders have their virtues,price and availability seem to rule the choices. I have always leaned toward Green Dot.

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

If I wanted only one powder for 7/8, 1 and 1 1/8oz loads it would be 700X first and Red Dot second. For low pressure handicap loads, I really like PB although it is more expensive. Green Dot is also a great handicap powder.

My advice is to pick one load that works well for you and stick with it. Once you shoot some good scores with it, you will have confidence in it.

When you are on the line, focus on the next target and not your load. It’s one less thing to worry about.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Try American Select. A much cleaner burning powder than Green Dot, and only slightly faster.

9. Rockeee1

Rockeee1 TS Member

ZZT

Its a fact that very good shooters swear by American Select.With that fact in mind i am seriously considering the switch.Do you consider the burn rate of the powder to be between Red Dot and Green Dot?

10. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

REX-2 for Handicap and REX 1 for singles ,doubles and handicap back to the 22 yard line. Richard

11. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Americam Select works well for 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads. Very clean burning. Seems to be between Red and Green Dot. Glenn

12. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

I like clays...very clean burning but a lil pricey.

13. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

If I had to choose just 1 powder to use for everything, it would no doubt be 700X. I studied pressures and range of loads that published data was available for on the powders I like, and 700X appears to be the widest range, and I have always found it clean burning. Clays might be a tad cleaner, but heck, I try to clean my guns after each shoot, and really scrub it up about once a month or so. They deserve no less treatment than that, so clean is somewhat irrelevant.

I use 700X mostly, but also have 8# jugs of Red Dot, Green Dot, Clays on my shelf. I have not used the Red Dot in a long time, but Clays is terrific on 1 oz. loads, and I use Green Dot for my Nitro 27 reloading. I do believe GD has a bit less felt recoil, but on slower loads it does burn noticeably with more residue. Clays is great, but can't push 1-1/8 at really high speed without excessive pressure.

All good, just have to use them in the range they were designed for.

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'd try something a bit faster than Green Dot for the 7/8 oz loads, but Green Dot is OK for the 1 or 1 1/8 oz loads. I'd go with 700-X, Red Dot, Promo, Clays, Clay Dot, etc. for all three, since they are a bit more consistant with the lighter 7/8 oz loads. My experience with Green Dot is that it requires somewhere over about 9000 PSI to burn efficiently with less residue. It's rather difficult to attain decent pressures with 7/8 oz loads using Green Dot.

15. klundman

klundman TS Member

CLAY DOT

16. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

I went though 8 lbs of 700X and while it preformed well it was the dirtiest powder I have used

Way back when I was doing a lot of reloading, I eventually settled on 700X for everything. It's a really versatile powder, but I too found it to be especially dirty.

17. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

A few years back, I was visiting Ballistic Products Co.,
    up by Minneapolis. I happened to notice an Internal
    Memo which had been left out on the counter. (by mistake
    or intentionally, I don't know) Anyhow, it seems that
    they had been doing some studies on consistency of loads
    using different powders. When the did the first run with
    American Select, the results were so good that they didn't
    believe them. They re-ran the test, same results. I've
    used American Select for all my 1 oz loads since that time
    and been extremely happy with it.

AdamsRibs

18. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't understand the issue of clean vs. dirty burning powder. I clean my guns right after shooting and tear them apart and clean thoroughly once per year, clean thyem with Hoppe'e and run the action under hot kitchen sink water. I then put all the parts or mechanism in the oven for awhile at 250 degrees to dry out thoroughly and regrease with STOS and a good oil. I have been doing it this way for over 15 years. I learned this in the ARMY My guns sparkle inside and out.

19. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Rockeee1, Alliant rates the speed of their powders relative to BullsEye, their fastest burning powder. Their web site shows Red Dot at 94.1% of BullsEye's burn rate, Am Select at 81% and Green Dot at 77.9%. So American Select is slightly faster than GD and quite a bit slower than RD.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Most of us have used a powder or a couple of powders for several years and we believe it is the best powder. That conclusion is based only on the fact that we use the powder.

Many talk about dirty powders and clean powders. But, when residual burning tests are done, the differences between clean and dirty become less distinct. One imported powder reported to be very clean actually leaves a fair amount of fine residue but this residue is not easily seen with a quick glance down the barrel.

Some like to use a slow burning powder because they believe the felt recoil is less. They are not aware that the difference between slow and fast is 3 to 4 10/1000 of a second.

I use American Select for singles and Greed Dot for handicap loads. They work well and are manufactured a few miles from my home. We need the jobs. It should not be a surprise to any shooter that powder manufacturers have been placed under great stress by the imported discount shells made in Spain.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.