1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dshot, Aug 10, 2013.

1. dshot

dshot Member

Any venders at the Grand Have any Powder? it's hard to find here.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Evidently powders are in short supply there this year?

I planned on having a friend bring me a jug but they wanted to sell a case of wads with the powder!! NO SALE. I've never heard of that maneuver or sales technique before??

HAP

3. Tim Earney

Tim Earney Member

I was at the Grand yesterday and the only powders available and very little of that was Clay Dot and Super Target. No Green Dot or Red Dot and no Clays.

4. dshot

dshot Member

Thanks Guys, it looks like the shotage is nationwide.

5. Mario in QT

Mario in QT TS Member

Same here in Bucks Co, PA. Not able to get Xtra Lite for a month.
    Can anyone shed some light on this shortage?

By now I thought the shortages would have been history.

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Shortages are getting worse-including ammo. Seems like the total unavailability of Hogdon powders because of production issues is also affecting the availability of Alliant powder too. No powder equals no ammo. It's gonna be a tough year!!

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What makes you think it's only going to be one year? HMB

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I wonder if the anti-gun Obama administration has anything to do with this sudden shortage?

9. TheoShooter

TheoShooter Active Member

Grafs reloading had a decent supply of powder at the Grand. Decent by today's standard.

10. Al391brown

Al391brown Member

All the big three are buying powder! Rem,win,and federal. The powder companies are making more powder than they ever had before. Shotgun powder goes in handgun ammo folks. Vendors have sold more loaded ammo than they ever have before! The big three get the cream of the crop, we get the rest! Wake up there is no shortage. It's all being bought up by them. Unfortunately we all have to suffer until the ammo sales slow. That's right from the suppliers mouth and the manufactures. :(

11. dirt stirrer

dirt stirrer Well-Known Member

Where are these massive ammo sales taking place there 391? Certainly not in my neck of the woods. It's still a box at a time, if you can find it here. I haven't bought a round of loaded ammo since, well I can't remember the last time I bought loaded ammo. Nonetheless, they can't blame it on me.

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Plenty in display cases but none for sale in the permanent building area. Never got to the tent area. Can't walk that far anymore.

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I asked Mike Graf Thursday how many kegs of Green Dot he had sold (his sign said "Red/Green OUT) and he said, "None! I haven't had any to sell since I came down here."

Bob Falfa

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What Al391 is saying seems to be what I see going on in my area. Lots of people that I work with have recently bought handguns even though they never felt a need to own one before. And of course along with the handgun, they need a few hundred rounds of ammo which they quickly discover doesn't last too long when you start plinking with a high cap autoloader. So they try to get more ammo...

Repeat this across the country for 20 or so million new gun buyers and we have ammo and ammo component shortages like we have never seen before. All the handgun manufacturers are reporting record number of orders and back logs. All the ammo makers are saying the same. Most have 2 plus years of orders on their books and are running their plants at full capacity.

Kind of makes us recreational shooters seem like a minor part of the larger picture.

15. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

This is one of the best resources of watching for the availability of major reloading components.

16. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link Calkidd. You can see that Bass Pro is awfulllly dang proud of their powder. I don't think I will buy much from them. To high a retail to start with and the tax on top makes a simple purchas turn into a ripoff sometimes. I don't need it that bad.

Don T

17. dshot

dshot Member

I spoke with Allaint Co. Friday, they said they were running 24/7 and are behind 6 million dollars in back orders.

18. fly

fly Active Member

"Grafs reloading had a decent supply of powder at the Grand. Decent by today's standard."
    TO BAD HE FORCED YOU TO BUY 5000 WADS IN ORDER TO BUY POWDER....WHAT A HUMP!

19. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

Question about 800x, I was given a can of 800x which I am not sure about, can you tell me if there is a tracer colour in the powder, like a yellowy brown flake? if I can't identify for sure it will have to go as fertiliser

Argus

20. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I ended up buying another 8lb of powder from him. Hell I needed wads too so i figured it to be no big deal and he had the DownRange wads I needed. I don't particularly like being "required" to do so but it actually worked out ok.