1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lucky hunter, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

Hello,

I am reloading my own shells and I usually throw 17.4 gr of red dot. Now the loader is throwing anywhere from 17.0 to 17.4. Am I going to notice a difference in .4 gr? I use these shells for 16s, caps at the 23 and both first and second shots in doubles.

Thanks
    Kyle

2. oz

oz Active Member

Your average will vary from 17 to 17.4.

3. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Won't make any difference. Anyone shooting Red Dot will have much variation whether they realize it or not. Although, with that variation, I would expect that you actually throw 17.2gr.

4. warren

warren Member

How much lead are you using that seems like a pretty lite load to me. If you want a cleaner power that uses the same bushings as red dot try e3 it shoots the same and it is cleaner.

warren

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Kyle, As said with taking your highest and lowest weights, your throwing l7.2 grains. Be thankful you only get a plus/minus .2 varyation. I was getting a plus/minus .3 vary in my loads, like 16.7 to l7.3 in mine. That's why I don't use Red Dot anymore. Every once in awhile I would say to myself that load felt pretty strong. Needless to say that does not happen to me anymore after I switched to a powder that drops a much more consistantly. Smaller flake powders tend to drop more evenly drop after drop. Have fun finding your favorite powder. break em all Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.