1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder weight variation

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Auctioneer, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Fishguts, if you want some info then leave a post of some kind.

If you are having a problem with getting enough powder in your hull there are two things that you can do. One is make sure your loader is well grounded. Get some copper wire say about 12 to 14 ga and make sure it is bolted to a clean metal on the loader. NO PAINT UNDER THE WIRE. Then go to your wall plug and take out the center screw and attach the copper wire to that center screw of the wall socket. Your loader should be grounded. Second I went to the pet store and got a fish tank air rator(sp). It puts air in the fish tank. It vibrats enough to make the powder move into place in the bushing. I have found that to help. I put my air rator between the powder jug and the shot jug on a Mec 9000g.

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

STATIC: Grounding the loader will not do much good. The static charge will not migrate from the plastic bottle to the metal loader. The best solution is to raise the relative humidity to at least 35%. Humidifiers are relatively inexpensive. If you are loading outdoors (in an uninsulated garage) you will have problems in the Winter months.

Adding a vibrator to the powder measure is NOT a good idea! It will compact the powder in the measure. The powder must un-compact to flow into the bushing and the drop tube. Seems to me this will add to inconsistency. Use a powder bafle and keep the powder reservoir at least half full. Metering will be the best if the powder does not have to change from a compacted state to a free state.

Jim Skeel

3. fishguts

fishguts Member

Sory boys, I tried to delete the post before it was seen. I copied and pasted my spreadsheet but it came out a mess. I have to re-format and try again.

Wayne

4. fishguts

fishguts Member

Sory???..I guess I meant sorry.

Wayne

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see your data. I typically see variations of +/- 0.2grains with Green Dot or Clays out of a 366 with a baffle, always wondered how other set ups perform.

6. maka

maka Member

If you are using a MEC. Check to see that the bar is moving freely. I take a #2 pencil and rub it on the bar. The graphite in the pencil lead lubricates and is cheap. Also try wraping a dryer sheet around powder bottle. Hold with rubber band. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adding vibrator to powder measure