1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

POWDER vs HULLS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Quack Shot, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I found that NOT loading them with ANY powder seems to make them last longer. Realistically, I have seen very little difference, IF ANY, between powders regarding hull life. Some might look a bit dirtier sooner, but I toss them at the first signs of mouth splits or weakness, or about five loadings, whichever comes first. It's about the same number of loadings whether I'm loading PB, Clays Promo, Green Dot, 700-X, etc.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Generally speaking, The higher the pressure the shorter the hull life. This is just a general observation with no real scientific study behind it. This is just an observation of my own hulls.

ss

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Who cares? With all the free empties in the form of cheapie hulls that have plenty of loading data it's a non-issue. Gunclubs load exactly like STS and are pretty much free for the taking. wall mart Cheapie federal's have good data sources now. Shoot the powder you like the best in hulls you can get for free and worry about something that is worth your time to worry about.Jeff

4. dhip

dhip Active Member

OK,I'll bite,,where you getting data for walmart cheapie Federals???If so,how about data for the winchester universals also??

Doug H.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

AND B&P + Kemen + RIO + UEE + PMC + ...

Use FGM, Cheddite, Low-Basewad Fiocci ... pick one or more that matches your components and is less than 11000psi: 12S0 & S3 wads, DR XL-Orange, CB 6100 & 6118 ... all good.

If you'll use a little mother-wit and stay away from RhinoRoller loadings, they'll ALL work, and well.

Bob

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Vern. I shoot a lot of Actives. They last forever if you load them light to medium. heavy loads will destroy them in quick fashion. I also load Fed papers a lot. These hulls will really tell you which powder will have more wear out effect on the hulls. Again, heavy loads will destroy the papers in two to 3 reloads. Light loads and I get 5-8 out of them. I think it all boils down to how much powder, not what kind

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Vern- I know of no study on powder vs. hull life. I don't even know of a good way to quantitatively measure hull life. When a hull is worn out is, in part, a judgment call.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.