1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder variance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by singles, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. singles

singles Member

I got a new pw 800plus press and am getting powder variances from 16.8 to 17.4 using red dot powder. I have the gears set correctly. Is this a normal variance on progressive loaders? What is an acceptable powder variance?
    Thanks

2. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I think +/- 0.2 is doable with most powders I've tried, which is only a fraction of what's available. I wouldn't be alarmed at +/- 0.3, but it's not the best. A number of little things contribute to the variability including, I'm sure the type of press. For the most realistic average, I've found it best to pull and weigh and record every fifth or sixth round in the middle of a real production run with the powder bottle 1/2 - 2/3 full.

With the powders I use I've found a baffle and no-baffle set-up to give the same average drop, say 17.0 grains, but the baffled drops will have a narrower variability, like 16.8-17.2, versus 16.7-17.3 without a baffle.

3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I ground my P&W and use powder baffles and have a hydraulic system. I don't see much of any variance using Green Dot. The exception being lot variance.

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The only way to accurately measure the powder drop on a progressive loader is to measure actual powder drops during loading. The best way to do this is to use the measuring kit that P/W sells. You slip the plastic thimble over the powder drop tube and cycle the loader. Then remove the thimble and place it on a digital scale (after first using the tare function to account for the thimble). The best way to place the thimble on the scale is to set it in an empty shell. Then return the powder charge to the shell on the loader using the small funnel in the P/W kit. This is the best way to sample powder charges for weighing.

If you dump the powder charge out of the shell you run the risk that some powder will stick in the shell. Using the thimble assures that you weigh every grain of powder that was dropped.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.