1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

powder used in federal top guns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by team henges, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. team henges

team henges TS Member

Jun 21, 2010
    does anybody know what powder federal uses in theyre top gun shells?

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Louisville, KY
    Given that Alliant and Federal have common ownership, it is probably an OEM version of Red Dot.

Promo or Red Dot should work well. Use the Federal 12S0 wad column or equivalent for 1 oz. and the Federal 12S3 for 1 1/8 oz. You may use the same loading data as for Federal Gold Medal plastic hulls.

Some games shooters I know use the Top Gun hull for heavier loads (one time) with the 12S4 and other wad column and various combinations of powder and shot from 1 1/4 oz up. They claim it has a softer recoil.

Check out the Alliant web site for load data.

Ed Ward
  3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Most commercial shells use a proprietary powder blend that is not available to the consumer market. When a shell is designed, the manufacturer will contract with a powder company to produce a powder tailored specifically to the kind of performance that's desired. It may have some characteristics in common with over-the-counter powders but you won't find it in a jug on the shelf.

4. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Glendora, CA
    FWIW, I've used green dot with 12S3 wads with very good results.

By very good I mean consistent patterns on the pattern board.
  5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Some of the federals smell the same as they did 30 years ago.. some dont.. everytime I smell one it makes me think of when my dad would carry me dove hunting.. he would shoot and I would play with the hulls..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.