1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder to Replicate Winchester Heavy Target?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Michael Jobe, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Looking at Winchester's website they recommend WST as the powder to replicate their 3 dram 1 1/8th oz load. Anyone using WST for this purpose and have any thoughts or adive to offer? I want to get as close the factory load as possible with my reloads for practice, and will use factory ammo come competition time.

Thanks,

Michael

2. frank t

frank t TS Member

Universal clays, Unique, Solo 1250 or Winchester Super Field will duplicate the Winchester heavy factory sporting clays loads.

3. frank t

frank t TS Member

Sorry, I thought u were talking about the 1300-1350 fps sporting clays loads. As for heavy target loads Green Dot, INT clays, 700X will all duplicate the heavy trap loads.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I use the Alliant recipe for Green Dot for 1200 ft/sec. I like the AA factory heavy red load but find that Super Handicap @ 1250 ft/sec is too much recoil for me.

5. goldenbear

goldenbear Member

I have used WST since they discontinued WSL. 20.5 grains of WST seems to be close to the 3 dram 1 1/8 OZ.

6. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Don't know how long it's been available but you can get Winchester Super Handicap powder from Graf and Son's. If anyone has used this powder I would like to know their opinion, thinking of trying some myself. Winchester powders are now handled by Hodgdon. You can access reloading data from them, try the link above.

Robert

7. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Michael,

I use to do that. Started off with all Win components and followed Win data for the ballistic equivalent loads for their 2 3/4 Dram Eq. and 3 Dram Eq. 1 1/8 oz loads.

8 years ago, I found a cheaper and more convient source of Hodgdon Int'l powder. So I started using Hodgdon Int'l for my 1 1/8 oz 3 Dram Eq. loads. For my 16 yard and 1st shot doubles practice load I went to 1 oz #8 at 1145 f/s and Clays powder. I now shoot Remington STS factory 2 3/4 Dram Eq. 1 1/8 oz #8 for 16 yard singles and 3 Dram Eq. 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 for caps when there is a trophy or money on the table.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wst powder 3 dram