1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder thru the mail?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by davidjayuden, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Is it possible and economically viable to buy small amounts of smokeless powder on the internet? GU in Omaha is out of PROMO and I was wondering if a purchase of 8 or 16 lbs. would be worthwhile. I checked Gunbroker and see no listings so I'm beginning to think that it may be restricted to the point that no one does it?
    Although I've reloaded for 40 years (guess that makes me old...) I've always purchased over the counter.
    Your wisdom/experience/suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks!
    dju

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

You have to pay a hazmat fee to ship it. I think its like 25 bucks. On the otherhand, you wouldn't be paying tax if it came from out of state.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

David: The USPS will not deliver powder. You can however order from a vendor and they will ship UPS. You will have to pay a hazmat fee. ($25) for each order. If you go that route it is much more economical to order powder and/or primers in a large quantity. This lessens the affect that the hazmat fee has on the total price. If you don't need a large quantity; you might have a fellow shooter order a supply with you. I have attached a website of a vendor who ships this way. You can check prices on their website. Keep in mind that you will also have to pay shipping charges. However, if you don't live in Wisconsin; you will not pay any sales tax. Good Luck. Ed

4. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Recobs Target Shop has Promo on sale! Two 8 pounders

for $155.80 plus $25.00 HazMat and cost to Ship.

Thats a real deal considering Promo out here in CA is

running $130 for 8 lbs plus sales tax.

Mike Cunningham

Groveland, CA ATA Life Vet

5. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Mike,
    Are you serious about the price in Kaliforney?! Jesus! Tom Rhoads

6. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

UPS will not ship powder or primers a least not here. Fed-X will.

7. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Tom,
    Yes it's true. Last Fall a friend picked up 8 lbs

of Clays. By the time sales tax was applied came to

$174.40 and he drove 74 miles to get it. He was happy as a lark

just to have powder. I'll pay the $25.00 HazMat any day of the week!!

Recob's is $106.89 as we speak. So even if that was all I ordered,

it would max out at $141.89. It not only comes to my door, but I don't have to

spend another $25.00 for Diesel Fuel.

Mike Cunningham

8. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

David it depends on your location.I live in Waterford California. The best price I have come up with is Powder Valley in Kansas. You have to order 6 - 8LB kegs at a time to make it cost effective.I always line up some fellow shooters and place the order and divide the S&H and HZMT 6 ways and add this to the cost of the powder.6 kegs is the maximum weight they will ship in one box.If I order from say Graf's or Recob's it cost's more to ship because they are furthur east of Kansas.Connies may be closer but they can't fill my order as cheap as Powder Valley can.This pertains to my location in California.Go online and research all the distributers near you and figure out what's best for you.PV uses Fed ex and you have to be at the delivery point to sign for the delivery.You can add primers and powder to the same box and pay one HZMT.Hope this helps PJ

9. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Hmm, those California prices seem really high. If you are in SoCal I suggest you call John Lumn at High Score shooting supplies. His powder prices are WAY better.

-Aaron

10. poacherjoe

Aaron: If we were in So. Cal. that might work but the LOCATION is the key! If you buy in state you have to go pick it up and pay state sales tax.Fuel and time factor into the final price.I would love to find anything cheaper than I pay at PV but I have searched high and low for the best price.Go online and call there 800 number and ask what the final cost is for say 6 - 8 lb kegs of promo then call your connection and see what his final price is.Remember Fed ex sends it to my front door and I don't have to put any time or miles into picking it up.His price might be better but San Diego is a long way's away!PJ

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Gamaliel's has good prices on powder.

Jim Skeel

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Doesnt Grafs prices include shipping?

13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I just placed an $800 order with Powder Valley. We'll see how it goes. Their prices were better than Grafs or Gamaliel.

14. poacherjoe

Grunt: Graf's price does include shipping but they charge a Handling and Insurance fee that runs $4.50 to $ 6.95 depending on how you place your order.You might call this a little sales trick!

Doug: You will be happy with Powder Valley.I always ask them if they can squeeze a bag or 2 of wads or anything else I might need to max out the weight of the box.PJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.