1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder Targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I am interested in putting together some targets that puff powder when hit as they use in the olympics. I cannot order these ready made econimicly so I though I tmight try to make some for special shoots. Has anyone tried this? What has been your success/problems etc?

The way I see it presently the biggest problem would be a red circle/cover of the powder on top of the target.

2. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

made some for our club and found that baby powder is the best and smells good ,even though caulk line caulk does work and is different colors. I added a tablespoon or two on the top of the clay and then used construction paper cut in a circle the same size as the top of the clay,and used silicone to seal the construction paper to the clay .I also fill some of the clays with colored confetti ,worked great too!!

3. Aintlost

Aintlost Member

I used blue line chalk and clear packing tape. By using the clear tape the shooter wants to raise their head to look at the target.

4. Rem29

Rem29 Member

I used blue chalk line chalk on the top, used white glue to hold a disc of newspaper in place. Works great! Going to do red, white and blue for 4th of July shoot. Get one each and win a box of shells or something of the sort.

Planning on using red chalk and then baking soda for the white. All eco-friendly and will help our resin free clay disintegrate.

Gary

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

They guys above have it figured out. We make them the same way using line chalk for colored 'smoke' and flour for white smoke. Get a roll of wide masking tape to cover the powder and trim the strip with a sharp knife after you stick it over the dome. You don't need to completely pack the dome with powder to get good smoke - just a nice layer. Kind of a tedious process to make a lot of these but it is fun to shoot them.

6. Dave P

Putting paper on the top with glue or tape seems like a labor intensive process.

Has anyone tried something like contact glue on the bird edges and run a roller over the paper top and then trim the edge after the contact?

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ive cut the circle out of light cardboard, Use contact cement to glue on target added snap line chalk inside,

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Putting paper on the top with glue or tape seems like a labor intensive process."</i></blockquote>Think about it for a minute. I can dump a teaspoon of powder into the top of a target, brush some Elmer's glue around top ridge, lay on a precut paper disc and press it in place in 30 seconds or less. I can cut 15 or so paper discs at once by stacking 15 or so squares of paper together, hold them together with a Masonite pattern over them and cut all of them at once.

To use contact cement I'd have to do the same thing to the target, then spread contact cement on a flat surface. pick it up with a roller, roll the paper, wait for both to set up, attach the paper, wait for the cement to set then trim the paper. In the meantime, I need to replace the roller occasionally and cut the paper into managable sizes after I spread the cement on them.

No...I like my way better.

Keller

9. Dave P

Keller: I like your way better too. Do you bother to paint the top paper?

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Depends...

If we make these things by the case and if all the targets being thrown are going to be powder targets (red, white and blue for the 4th) then there's no reason to color the tops, especially if we're using light-weight brown wrapping paper discs (blends well with orange targets).

If the targets are gonna be special "prize" targets that will be scattered among the regular targets then I might hit the discs with orange marking paint.

Keller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.