1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder suggestions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by remman, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. remman

remman TS Member

Thinking of Clays for a powder to load for my SX-1.(12ga) Will be using the new style AA hulls and 1 oz of #8s for sporting clays. Is there a pressure level I should be looking for to insure good cycling? Wad recommendations? Any other powder ideas? Thank you for your help. Jim

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I load clays 17 grains at 1oz shot sts shells cci primer TGT 12 wads. doent cycle my browning gold very well even with the light gas piston.

3. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Clays is an excellent choice. Been using it for several years. My load is:

Federal Gold Medal Hulls.

1 ounce of #8's.

Winchester's WAA12SL wad.

Federal 209A primer.

18.3 grains of Clays.

= 1235 fps.

When I do my part, centering the shot stream on target, the target is reduced to a cloud of smoke.

Frank

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Clays is a good powder, but the Alliant Claydot seems to be even cleaner, and is American made. The aussies are our friends, but I prefer to buy American when practical.

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

The SX-1 is a soft shooter. Shoot 17.3 Clays or Claydot w/ a Windjammer or AA wad. 1 1/8oz shot@1145 fps. Try some 3dram loads too. This light load stuff doesn't work for everyone or in every gun well.

Personally, I like 20.5 gr Green Dot w/ a windjammer and 1 1/8oz #8 in my SupX-1.

6. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Another vote for Claydot here. I used to shoot Clays but switched to Claydot. Same performance with a lower price. If anything it leaves less residue in the barrel and gas system to clean-up on my 391.

I have shot it very successfully with 1 oz loads, but I only shoot 1-1/8 oz loads for trap using either a Blue Duster or the Downrange XL wad in STS hulls with either a Remington or Nobelsport primer.

hubcap

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Clays, Clay Dot, Red Dot, 700-X, Promo, etc. They all appear to work well. There are many more suitable powders to choose from, like e3, WST, American Select, and a host of others. It all depends on what is most important to you. If that is economy, Promo is a good choice. Clays or Clay Dot work well in many cases and are a good choice for clean burning powders. You can always buy or borrow a pound of powder to try before making a commitment to an 8 pounder. Make sure your primer choice works by double checking the data and then testing a few boxes over a chronograph. Even a Chrony F-1 for $70 is better than guessing at velocities.

Make sure you weigh your powder drops.

Pressure levels are usually recommended to be kept somewhere between 9000 PSI and 10000 PSI, to ensure complete, consistent, and efficient burning for most powders. You can guess at the pressure levels if you go by the listed data. You can have some shells tested for velocity and pressure to be sure.

The Winchester WAA12SL Pink wad is a winner as are some of it's clones for 1 oz loads. I also like the TGT12 Remington wads as well. There are a host of wads made by companies like Downrange Manufacturing that would also be suitable.

I buy components for performance, cost, and availablility, pretty much in that order, but will consider cost as primary for practice loads.

If you shoot in colder temperatures, you might wish to throw a box in the freezer and run them over a chronograph while still cold. That way you have fewer surprises when they've been stored in the trunk in sub-zero weather. Some powder/primer combinations work better in colder weather. Same goes for hotter than normal weather also. Heat will drive up velocities and pressure, more often than not, so be careful about loading at higher pressures.

One more piece of advice. Load a box or two and test them BEFORE you load 50 flats of ammo that does not work well.

8. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

I tried the rest and went back to Clays with W209 primers because it always works even in bitter cold. Like Quack said look for 9-10k psi pressure closer to 10k if you can. I consider that a golden rule to make them go bang all year, don't own any gas guns but they seem to work in those that have tried it. Downrange XL-1 wad for 1 oz. although for SC the 8 petal is a little more open with the same choke in most guns. The State SC class champion here switched to XL-1 wads this year, at first he thought they were too tight. Now it is all he uses except when he has to use factory loads or sub gauge. He also uses Clays and W209 BTW.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

We have a selection of many fine powders. Some will firmly state that Clays burns cleaner than Clay Dot or American Select, but they simply measure how clean a powder burns by looking down the barrel after the last shot of the day. This type of observation will not distinguish between a lot of very small granules of residue and a few large flaks of unburnt material. Some simple residual burning tests would surprise many.

The only differences between Clays and Clay Dot is that one is less expensive and made in the USA. I use American Select simply because I am set up to load that powder and I do not want to mess with other bushings. Red Dot, Clay Dot or e3 would work just as well for me. I reserve Green Dot for my handicap loads that are shot from the 27. If someone would ask which powder they should use, it would be difficult not to suggest Red Dot.

Promo is the least expensive quality powder available. I do not use it because of the inconvenience of checking the weight (density) of each lot. I keep my reloading as simple as possible.

Pat Ireland

Pat Ireland

10. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

Clays has just become too pricey & is not a US product. Since most Alliant powders have been cleaned up, they are a very good choice.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hodgdon Clays is a great powder. I use it for all my 1 ounce 12 gauge loads.

Remington STS, Nitro 27, or Gun Club hull, 17.2 grains of Clays, Winchester primers, Downrange XL-1 wad, one ounce of 8-1/2 shot. Plenty of pressure to exercise my daughter's 1100 action.

If it makes you feel better to "buy American" as others have suggested (though, ask them where their gun was made, or their car, or their microwave, etc...) you might try Hodgdon TITEWAD which is made in the USA, and is a little less costly than Clays.

Nothing wrong with the Alliant powders (though Claydot is a blatant attempt to plagiarize Clay's formula, and its success) and may folks have had great success with their products.

12. frank t

frank t TS Member

In an auto I would opt for e3. It is extremely clean, consistent at all temperatures and economical to use. Its pressure is above 9000 psi in most loads. I have found that if I use this pressure as a base my autos function perfectly regardless of the shot weight I use. I have used it for 3 years now and have found nothing better, especially in the winter time.

Frank t

13. remman

remman TS Member

Appreciate the input from all who posted. Good points....anybody else??

14. bling 27

bling 27 Member

I like STS hull, Win 209 primer, Rem TGT wad,1oz #8 shot,17.5gr of Titegroup. 1235fps.I used to use Clays,International,Titewad,and a long time ago Greendot and 700x. Titegroup is very soft. I have used this powder in loads from 7/8oz to 1/18oz. The 7/8oz load that I use will totally destroy targets from 16 to 23yds. Try a # and see how you like it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.