1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Powder Suggestions for 20 & 28 gauge

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

I am starting to reload 20 and 29 gauge shells. I would like any suggestions on an appropriate powder for those gauges. There are many powders to choose from and I would like to cut down on the trial and error with ideas from shooters on Trapshooters. I have been using Titewad for 12 gauge but there are no published loads for that powder that I can find so I need some suggestions for the best powder choice for sub-gauges.
    Thanks, doug

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Universal Clays or Unique. It's hard to go wrong either way.

Sorry guys, I posted the wrong powder. It says what I meant now. Lol.

ss

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Green Dot and WSF work well in the 20 guage. HS-6 is best for the 28 guage, Winchester 540 is the same powder but was discontinued and thus hard to find. HMB

4. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

unique works good for the subs. burns a little dirty. easy to obtain and the price is right. universal and international clays is also very good a little more expensive and at times harder to find, but burns cleaner.

green dot also works very well for 28 gauge.

5. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

I've been using Universal for quite a few years now and Green Dot before that. It's one powder that works very well in both guages. Clean burning and consistant over the chronograph too. I load it to 1200 fps and if you need them I can give you my results off line. I don't feel right posting loads online.

Tom

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Clays Universal...used it for years for 20/28 when shooting skeet. Regards, Ed

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

You've got 29-14 choices, and few bad ones in the bunch: REX 3, 20/28, U&U, Longshot, SR 7625 & 4756 ... and ... *PB. (and a bunch of others)

It's pretty hard to go wrong - even with GD, which is not labeled for subgauge any more (after being a '20ga powder' for 50yrs).

Bob

8. skeezix

skeezix Member

Most folks I know use Universal clays, Alliant 20/28, or Unique. I use 20/28 now and like it, I switched last year when Universal went through a period where it was darn near impossible to find.

If you are shooting them in a subgauge tubeset - I am told you want to avoid international clays or green dot. There is something about their combustion pressure that seems to encourage cracked chambers.

I've been told that Briley will tell you not to use international or, if you do, back off the load a little. The only folks I know who seem to have an issue with frequent cracked chambers, load international.

John

9. Borderland

Borderland Member

cp has it right///use Alliant 2028 and you wont crack the chambers on the 20ga. tubes

Ken

10. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Unique for 20 ga.
    20/28 for 28 ga.

All made in America. 20/28 is a little more expensive than Unique, and since Unique does so well in 20 ga, why use the more expensive stuff?

11. esetter

esetter Active Member

Universal Clays is very good powder at a reasonable cost. 7625 is super but expensive, as is PB.

12. ddsflyer

ddsflyer TS Member

Universal Clays for 20ga and HS-6 for 28ga.

13. citadel

citadel Active Member

Thanks to everyone for all the good suggestions
    Doug

14. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

I like Alliant 20/28 in 28ga. It is also good in 20ga. Recently I have been shooting Winchester Super Field in 20ga. It patterns great has a mild recoil and I get perfect crimps in Win HS hulls with Win WAA20 wads.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Universal Clays for both.

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Unique has done well for me over many years..

17. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

I found powder bulk density important for best crimps. In AAHS 20's I found Alliant 20/28 and Winchester WSF works perfectly with AA and CB wads. I thought WSF was a bit thumpy though.

There is a lot more bulk tolerance (greater hull capacity) in Remington, Federal and Fiocchi hulls, so I use the cheaper Unique.

In the longest lasting AAHS 28's I use Unique with the Remington 28 gauge wads for perfect crimps.

See www.alliantpowder.com for recipes.

- - Bill

18. The Stive

The Stive Member

I like some others on here use green dot. Works well for me. John

19. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Unique was always core hot in the 28. HS-6 is the ticket for 28 ask Wayne Mayes. Universal for 20. Jeff

20. ink ball

ink ball Member

I'm very pleased with the performance of 20/28 powder in the 20 gauge. For the 28 gauge, I still haven't found anything I like better than HS-6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.