1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

powder scales

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ALAMO RON, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALAMO RON

ALAMO RON TS Member

would like some opinions on the best 120 ac & batt. electronic powder scales for reloading rifle,pistol and shotshells.

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

$50 (ok) to $1500 or more (best).

Waaaaaay too much territory covered in your question.

Care to narrow it down? Start with how much you plan on weighing.

Bob

3. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

This is my opinion only, I would not count on battery power even as a second power source. The more you use it, the more drain you have on the battery's witch will have variance in the readings. Also I would use a safety scale {boom scale} to check the electric scale. I read a article about this but I can't remember where, like I said my opinion.

thanks
    lee

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

What makes the electronic type better? I take it only the digital readout. Do they come with stylis's for calibration?

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have a cheapy battery powered from ebay and a A&D 200 which I got a a pharmacy out of business auction for 200.00 runs about 800-1K new. It is very nice. Only problem being is you dont use the cover it will wonder for ever. The LCD screen has been fadeing out here and there.

The cheapy works ok for quick checks. As mentioned it will toss some inconsistant readings if you are measureing for any exstended time.
    ex. Iwas sorting some 30cal bullets that where assorted weights. After about 20 minutes it had a hard time stabalizeing.

I still find myself going back to my RCBS 505 beam scale. I did get some check weights in different weights.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

stick with the beam scale

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

birddog1964

You have it about right on the electronic scales. The ones I have had trouble with were on battery power. I still prefer a beam type scale. The Digital is a backup for me.

8. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Beams are the most reliable as long as you keep them level and make sure you take care they last forever.

Jerry

9. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I use a lee beam and Hornady 1500 pocket digital, they both read abt the same. Good enough for shotshell reloading. Take your time sometimes you find some deals, ebay craigs list. Good luck.
    Railroad

10. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

I have a 20 something year old Pact2. A/C powered and it has two calibration weights. Never had a minutes problem with it. I still have two beam scales but I never use them.

11. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I've got an RCBS AC powered, also made by PACT. Cost me about $100 as I recall, and it has worked like a champ for about 10 years. I would buy another one.

I've got a Dillon beam scale I don't use if anybody's interested. It's just as accurate, but I trust the RCBS enough not to need two scales.

PM me if anybody's interested.

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

PACT. $130

Best shotshell scale out there for a long time. Excellent for pistol. Use it for rifle in combo with the dispenser. 1500 grain capacity means you can cull suspect rounds of all types in a hurry.

Even used mine to locate a 5.56 round that had collected the decapping pin during a session. Picked it out of a group of 75-80 rounds on the first try. Didn't have to watch a beam swing back and forth either.

13. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have PACT and like it very much. It is made in the good ole USA, which is important to me.

Charlie

14. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Bobdog,
    Check your pm, I'm interested in the beam scale

15. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I have a 19?? C&H beam scale and an RCBS 10-10 beam scale and they both give the same readings even tho the C&H is quite old.Why spend so much on Electric? Does anyone else have the old C&H scale??

16. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Been using a Pact for about 16 yrs no problems. Also use a rcbs 1010 just to double check each other. I`d recomend both. ml

17. ALAMO RON

ALAMO RON TS Member

I want to thank you all for helping me with the powder scales i bought a rcbs 10-10 and pact combo. RON

18. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

I use an old Ohaus 10-0-5 scale, but would like to have an electronc for measuring bulk - for instance I looked up a strong 1-1/4 oz field load the other night which called for 28.5 grain of 7625 powder and I had a small ammount left in a can. I had to dump the can several times and weigh each ammount in the small dish to see how many loads I could get out of the powder left. I could have put a paper cup on an electronic scale and measured it all at one time. If I had to choose only 1, I'd pick the beam scale.

19. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

I don't want to disrespect all the Pact fans out there but I'm guessing you have never used or seen a Dillon electronic scale. Head and shoulders better than Pact, RCBS or any else. Those are fine scales and cheaper. They will do the job for you. Before trapshooting, I was heavily involved in IPSC shooting. The Dillon is aimed toward the handgun and rifle shooters.They also have the no B.S. warranty. They mean it. Tremendous customer service. You get what you pay for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.