1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

powder scale

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trapmike, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapmike

Trapmike TS Member

I am starting to reload shotshells, and am looking for some thoughts on what type and size of powder scale to buy. i am shopping all over online doing research and what not. how big should i go 1010 or 505, i think the 505 will be easier to read, because the graduations on the 1010 ore in larger increments. The 1010 however will provide me with more room to grow as far as my reloading needs grow. I am just looking for some input and thoughts and to see what some experienced re loaders are using.

Mike

2. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I've got both a 5-0-5 and a 5-0-2 and I use them constantly. The 5-0-5 is just a bit more sensitive but I think I actually use the 5-0-2 more often. Even the 5-0-2 is sensitive enough to register a difference of 2 flakes of Clay Dot powder in a 17.5 grain drop. No batteries, nothing to break and accurate enough for any trap load.

Mike

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Go digital if you can afford it.

4. Trapmike

Trapmike TS Member

thanks for the info so far guys, i think i will go after the 5-0-5. digiital is a little pricey for me right now. Bob you make a good point about being able to devide the shot, and don't worry i am still waiting for the reloader and accessories to arrive via ups. also i didn't plan to start reloading till i had all my stuff set up. i got a great butcher block table to use a bench, it will be about two or three weeks before i get going i need to read up on the loader, and the loading manuals. i am thinking federal or AAs, i like how the AA shoot. i have to weight till my shooting guru is available to help walk me through the loading process anyway.

5. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Consider mounting the reloader inside a baking pan. When (not if) you spill shot and powder, the mess is much more contained.

6. Trapmike

Trapmike TS Member

Will do HaveGun, i already have my tray ready. i have a nice layout planned i will post a pic later this week when the stuff arrives and i have it all set up.

Mike

7. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

The new Win AA hulls can be a little tricky to reload. For at least the first couple of hundred shells, I suggest that you reload Remington STS hulls with Rem 209P primers; Rem wads and the powder of your choice. These primers and wads are specificly designed for Remington hulls. Once you get the process down then start with different hulls and primers.

That said, since a local guru has taken you under his/her wing, do as he/she says.

Jason

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have had a 505 and traded for a 10-10. The 10-10 is an excellent scale but difficult to use because of the dial. I agree, go with the 505. The Lee is cheap but so are the results!

9. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

You can buy a lyman balance scale for less........and they work GREAT

10. Trapmike

Trapmike TS Member

thanks guys for all the thoughts and info. i order a 5-0-5 online should be here shortly. in a week or two i will have the loading station built and the storage cabinet all set up. i will post some pics once it is all done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.